Possible Bug Workaround ***Update 2****

Started by zionner, January 02, 2008, 05:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Hey All

For the last while I have been trying to find a workaround to the Planet Surface Bug, Now, I may have found a workaround to working with multiple planets using Planet Surface Shader

I'm going to post my finding in a post below in about 5 minutes, I'm just rendering up some examples to explain, Though It is a pretty Simple workaround

Thanks
Zionner

Update: Ok, I need to leave my computer for like..30 minutes to go pick someone up, then I'll post How this can be done

Also, heres an Image to show I aint Talking rubbish:

rcallicotte

Cool.

I didn't know this couldn't be done.   :P
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

zionner

Ok, This is pretty Simple

First of all, you need to go into Your First Planets Settings, Then go into the "Angluar Position" Tab, This Tab is shown in the First Screen Print,

Secondly, you will need to copy and paste Each oh the Values into the same places for your Second Planet, After this you should get the same as the second screen print

Then the last step, (first note: as far as I can tell this limit is Random) but you should be able to move the textured 2nd planet away from the first, then you should come up with something similar to the last screen print

Thanks All
Zionner

P.S The TGD has been posted

Also Note: the first picture should have planet 1 selected, that was my mistake, sorry

Oshyan

It's cool that you've been making progress finding workarounds to some of the limitations of current nodes. I should warn you however that the currently available Technology Preview includes nodes that are experimental or otherwise incomplete and may not be included in the final release. This is likely to happen especially with problematic or limited functionality nodes, which may include the Planet Surface Shader. While we realize that some people do find even semi-functional nodes to be useful, they're not appropriate for inclusion in a final, retail product. Future updates may reintroduce previously removed nodes with new functionality and better stability.

- Oshyan

zionner

So, Say for example the beta coming out..tomorrow? (I think its tomorrow) are you guys considering removing the Planet Surface Shader for that update?

reck

Quote from: Oshyan on January 02, 2008, 10:30:59 PM
While we realize that some people do find even semi-functional nodes to be useful, they're not appropriate for inclusion in a final, retail product. Future updates may reintroduce previously removed nodes with new functionality and better stability.

- Oshyan

Yeah this sort of thing is ok for previews, betas etc but you don't want half finished or problematic elements in a final release. But it is nice to see things like this in-between official releases, betas and previews etc where we can see what sort of thing maybe coming up in the next release, like TG3 for instance.  ;D

BTW looking forward to trying out the new beta tomorrow. I've been waiting for a multicore release.

Oshyan

Quote from: zionner on January 03, 2008, 06:53:24 AM
So, Say for example the beta coming out..tomorrow? (I think its tomorrow) are you guys considering removing the Planet Surface Shader for that update?

The node cleanup may not happen until the final release due simply to time constraints, but ideally the beta would be as close to the final feature set (including nodes) as possible.

- Oshyan

zionner

Quote from: Oshyan on January 03, 2008, 01:32:32 PM
Quote from: zionner on January 03, 2008, 06:53:24 AM

The node cleanup may not happen until the final release due simply to time constraints, but ideally the beta would be as close to the final feature set (including nodes) as possible.

- Oshyan

Ok, so from what you've seen of the beta build being released. is the Node still in the build?

Oshyan

I can't comment on those kinds of specific details at this point.

- Oshyan

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

zionner

Ah, of course the NDA...

Sorry heh, I completely forgot that NDA's applied to TG 2.

Well, I hope it is its one of my most used Shaders