Pteranodon Hunter

Started by Stormlord, December 22, 2023, 06:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

I thought I'd add my tuppence worth of research: see attached info sheet.
I have a feeling that you've become attached to your current terrain. It is a nice terrain, but perhaps save that for another project.
And start afresh for the Pteranodon scene with your Ptero swooping over coastal waters, and maybe have an erupting volcano in the background, I believe they
were quite popular at the time.  :)
We'll all soon know our Pteranodons from our Nyctosauruses  ;D
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Stormlord

Pteranodon Hunter.jpg
Pteranodon Hunter 2023
New vegetation setup

By the way...
Does the new vegetation scattering now looking natural?

Quote from: Dune on December 27, 2023, 11:41:55 AMYou could easily add a water body and a waterline in this setup, make it coastal.
Quote from: schmeerlap on December 27, 2023, 02:14:45 PMI thought I'd add my tuppence worth of research: see attached info sheet.
I have a feeling that you've become attached to your current terrain. It is a nice terrain, but perhaps save that for another project.
And start afresh for the Pteranodon scene with your Ptero swooping over coastal waters, and maybe have an erupting volcano in the background, I believe they
were quite popular at the time.  :)
We'll all soon know our Pteranodons from our Nyctosauruses  ;D
Make it coastal he said...
Add an erupting volcano he said... (what the fu** is a Nyctosaurus?...)

STORMLORD
(14.2 GB of Data are now in my Pteranodon Hunter folder on hard disc and there's no end in sight... how this will end ?...when this will end?... :o )

Dune

I'll fix you a setup in a minute...

Dune

Here you go, plenty of possibilities (also has a nice cliff for the Pteranodons)... or for other projects. Needs Daniil's erosion shader, but you have that, I think.

Dune

And here's another version with some changes. Have fun.

schmeerlap

And here's a volcano I rustled up in Gaea
If you want it I'll email you the tor because .tor doesn't seem to be one of the allowed attachment formats.

Stormlord

O thank you so much John !
Pretty cool, such a volcano... Yes, why not. So please sent me your "volcano.tor" file.
-> Mostly trouble while sending unknown file formats can be prevented, by just zipping them into a zip container.
I've found out, that it works for 99.8% of all cases.

And also thank you Ulco for your starter coastline.
That's a very nice terrain and yes, I have Classic Erosion.
I'm sure I will use all that after examining these files...so one more time, THANK YOU !
-> A water sphere... you're full of surprises !

-> But I'm too!!!
In my standard Classic Erosion Setup, I embed also a mask output and an inverted mask output (swapped black and white points).

Classic Erosion Setup by Dirk Kipper.jpg
Classic Erosion setup by Stormlord

In the meantime, I have rendered overnight my next evolution of the whole scenery.
As Ulco suggested, I have created a coastline (with a wet water zone), added some underwater fake stones (masked with a deposition map from classic erosion) and created a tropical water body.

Further, I pimped up the very dark vegetation by rendering a vegetation only layer.
I rendered the vegetation on a black surface and without the sky. I got a vegetation only render, which I then used to light up the dark forest inside of Adobe Photoshop.
In Adobe Photoshop, this can be done with two layer modes. Mostly I use "Negative multiply" (~25%). But because the vegetation here is so dark, I used "Exclusion" (~35-50%).
Depending on the situation, I always try which mode is best? In this rendering, layer mode "Exclusion" is more subtle, than "Negative multiply". So I used exclusion mode.

20 - Pteranodon Hunter 5a (Adobe Photoshop).jpg
Pteranodon Hunter 2023
(Adobe Photoshop CS 5.5)

And this is my result so far...
Here maybe the saturation is a little bit too heavy, but I have also another new idea in stock to take this image further!
The vegetation let me think more of a typical Canada scenery. So I think, snow on the mountains will also a good idea.

Pteranodon Hunter 5a.jpg
Pteranodon Hunter 2023
(Water, shoreline, fake stones, tree enlightening)

Stay tuned...
We're not done yet!

STORMLORD

schmeerlap

Here is the volcano tor in a rar archive file

Dune

schmeerlap

Quote from: Dune on December 29, 2023, 02:15:57 AMA 'tor' or a 'ter'?
".tor" is the extension for a native Gaea file.

"whit a rer ter" is Glaswegian for "we're having a wonderful time".   8)

Dune

Stormlord

A ".tor" file is the saved "tgd" for GAEA, when working with TG but not with LW!
I hope, it is more clear now....

STORMLORD

schmeerlap

Quote from: Stormlord on December 29, 2023, 09:48:58 AMA ".tor" file is the saved "tgd" for GAEA, when working with TG but not with LW!
I hope, it is more clear now....
You've managed to make it less clear Dirk. .tor is the native Gaea file as in mywonderfulfirstterrain.tor
It has nothing to do with Terragen or tgd files. "When working With Terragen", i.e. importing a heightfield into Terragen from Gaea, you need to first do a Build in Gaea with an exporting image format such as tiff, psd, png, raw, etc.

Stormlord

Stormlord

It took a while for the next level of my Pteranodon scenery.

First I added foamy water.
Thank you Dune for the great idea to add some foamy water (in your example scene, your water is foamy).

Mhaze had once posted an example scene with foamy water, which is really great and the best I've seen so far!
Luckily, I saved his example to my library (even if I didn't understand at that time, how the shader really works?).
So the credits here are going to mhaze for his fantastic foamy water.

22 - Water Foam by mhaze.jpg
Foam example by mhaze

After transferring his example into my landscape, I rendered two close-ups for my next level of development.
For the first viewpoint, I was searching for a classic "look through the trees" spot. I found a good one here...

26 - Pteranodon Landscape 2.jpg
Pteranodon Landscape 1
Foamy water shot

And to get a better idea of the coastline, I also rendered a perspective of the shore.
To show more clearly the water foam, I imprinted a zoom from the original 4K rendering in the second render.

25 - Pteranodon Landscape 1.jpg
Pteranodon Landscape 2
Foamy water shot

You may have noticed, that here a snowy mountain pops up. This lead's us to my second improvement, snowy terrain higher up.
The snow here is basically designed upon Dune's snow Shader, which I also found somewhere here in the forum.
The version here is an enhanced version, which produces vector based snow with combined ice as well. So thx Dune for sharing!

Pteranodon Hunter (Screenshot).jpg
Pteranodon Hunter 2023
Preview window

The first Pteranodon Hunter render is a clear shot to show the landscape very clear.
The second is made with clouds. Here I added a very subtle lens flare effect in the misty cloud.
Allow me to point out the shadow from the second bird of prey falling over the dense white cloud.

23 - Pteranodon Hunter.jpg
Pteranodon Hunter 2023
Snowscape version

24 - Pteranodon Hunter.jpg
Pteranodon Hunter 2023
Snowscape version

It's a lot I've done to make this scene a good one.
I have put most of the knowledge I earned over the years into this scene, even If I will not say, that I'm an expert.
But here is what I've done and learned so far.

- Terrain erosion with the classic erosion plugin
- Designing better terrain shaders for convincing renders (ground, snow, ice)
- Developing natural looking vegetation populations
- Manipulate renderings in Photoshop with rendered (plant) masks
- Converting models, manipulate (scaling, transforming) and importing them into TG
- How to create a scene (More informing before start creating a Jurassic scene!)
- Working with Fake stones
- Making cool tropical water
- Pushing the limit by adding foamy water to it

So, at least, I really hope you like it!
Probably this version will be the final one.

STORMLORD