Improving Performance in Linux

Started by ares2101, December 24, 2023, 11:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ares2101

I'm experimenting with Linux again and decided to compare Terragen performance in a Windows VM versus using Bottles to run it in Linux itself.  

Good News: TG4 seems to actually run just fine currently.  It looks alright and I can use it.

Bad News: As you can see in the two test renders, the default file with my personal Quick Render settings has drastically different results.  Running it in a Windows VM takes roughly 1/4 the time, despite that VM being allotted only half my system's RAM (16 GB) and Cores (12).

My question is this: What might explain this and how might it be adjusted for?  Could Terragen be reliant on some missing dependency yet not try to install it if it's not already there?  I get very good performance running games under Steam and Lutris, so I find a render time gap this big to be very puzzling.  

I'd like to phase out having to use the Windows VM, but Terragen has long been a loose end for that.

ares2101

*Bump*

Any insight at all on this?  Maybe some dev who knows how the code or whatever works and what may explain this?  VMs are starting to get tricky to work right and this render time bottleneck is still happening.