Pacific Island 2024

Started by Stormlord, January 27, 2024, 03:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

In Lightwave you have a 'destroyer', possibly in Max too. If this is really going to be a battle, there's destruction, fire and smoke. Mayhem.
Good job so far Dirk!

Stormlord

After a lot of work regarding the ships with proper scaling, recomputing normals, painting maps and designing new flags,
I rendered some nice island shots. By the way, exchanging flags (full flag, hanging flags, etc.) is now a matter of minutes,
because yet I have all necessary tools at my fingertips. Surely the ships are not perfect, but for mid-range shots they are
quite useful.

17 - Size Comparison.jpg
Size comparison by length

I further improved the island scene...
- As John mentioned, I faded the horizon into some haze, which looks now more realistic. THX !!!
- I rendered a reflection pass to bring in a very nice effect which adds more beauty to the scene.
- The atmosphere got some minor adjustments, density, haze... etc.... etc...

14 - Pacific Island.jpg 
Pacific Island 2024

15 - Pacific Island.jpg 
Pacific Island 2024

16 - Pacific Island.jpg 
Meeting of the fleet

I think, this will be not the end so far...
There is more room for improvements like some underwater vegetation or rock design and vegetation distribution.
But definitely this is a fine render to go along with it. So I hope you like it!

STORMLORD

Dune

I sure do! What is the light part at the stern of the front and right ship? It looks like some default shader is luminous.

Maybe a dinghy with some rowmen would be cool, like they are meeting eachother in person.

Stormlord

This is obvious a way too strong reflection from my used gold shader.
I didn't notice that in the beginning, later when the zoom image was rendered it became obvious... so... I've to adjust that...

STORMLORD

schmeerlap

Am I seeing a Union Jack on two French ships. The battle must be over, the Royal Navy having captured and commandeered them. Rule Britannia.  ;D
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Stormlord

Yes Britannia rules... it's better than giving them a kaiser wilhelm flag...höhö...
After adjusting the gold shader, I rendered another viewpoint from the land side.

To make the scene more calm, I also changed the atmosphere to a discreet tropic sky.
Now you can also see the white water at the shore, which I used in my Pteranodon Hunter scene.
I added a beauty "glittering on the water" pass (tgSurfDirectSpec with negative multiply) as before.

Pacific Island 2024 - Ships Bay.jpg
Pacific Island 2024

STORMLORD

Dune

Great view. But (nitpicking again) for a tropical island I'd use palms instead of poplars and ?... There are probably some palms out there (for free). XFrog has them too. Or sketchfab: https://sketchfab.com/tags/palm
I would at least mix some in.

Stormlord

Thank you Ulco, and you're right, but I do not have a good palm. I have a queen palm...
When Autodesk had at the end of 2000 an anniversary to celebrate, they offered 100 XFrog plants for free.
I downloaded them, and 15 years later started to use them in TG. Why the heck they didn't pack more palms in their giveaway?

STORMLORD

Stormlord

So here comes another render which I did last night.
Several passes have been rendered, to end up with this image (which is impossible to get in one pass alone).

Pacific Island 4 - Horseshoe Bay.jpg
Pacific Island 2024
(Horseshoe Bay)

Next time I will create a scene with palms and tropical stuff.

STORMLORD

Stormlord

Pacific Island 2024 (Tropical).jpg
Pacific Island 2024 (Tropical Version)

I got all palms which I have in stock and did a remake with the same viewpoint as before.
The planting has been arranged in a way, that the trees surround the vessels like a frame.

Now, the island with the ships looks like a shot from a treasure hunter movie.
Hope you like it!

STORMLORD

Doug

the palms are really looking good in the last picture
the boats may be the right size, but they need to be bigger for that pic, a little bit

Dune

Nice like this. But the central palm is missing the opacity input.

Stormlord

Thank you all for your input!
The high palms at the beach are 20m, the biggest ship has 69m and the other two 53m and 57m.
Doesn't look it unreal, when I make the ships bigger Doug? But ok, I will render a bigger ships version.

I tried the opacity with 0.9 (I thought), but after looking into the settings, opa was set to 1.0 and 0.9!
So the first render is rendered nearly without opacity. So you're right, I will render it with a lower opacity again.
By the way, these palms are the best I have in stock to knock down any critism regarding poplar lobardi... LOL....

STORMLORD

schmeerlap

I really like the POV of the multi pass render of Horseshoe Bay. The ships are far enough away so you don't have to worry about pedantic knowitalls like me harping on about flags, rigging, weathering, and bits of what the captain had for breakfast on his beard.  ;D
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

But it needs a leaf.tif for opacity (check alpha), then you can use opacity between 0.50001 and 1 for more to less light between leaves. The tif isn't loaded I guess, or alpha not checked.