Texturing and populations

Started by PG, January 10, 2008, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Not my forté I have to admit. I have some pretty nice textures all lined up in my TG2 resource folder but whenever I try to apply them using plan Y they always seem too, either skewn or misproportioned. Is there any special trick to get a texture that is designed as a close up to work on a texture that is viewed from several hundred feet.

Also with the populations. I hear people talking about masks all the time but haven't figured out from the various topics, how to accomplish some of the rather magnificent rock formations that we see in the galleries. Any tips for distribution of populations?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Alfamike

Quote from: PG on January 10, 2008, 04:46:01 PM
Not my forté I have to admit. I have some pretty nice textures all lined up in my TG2 resource folder but whenever I try to apply them using plan Y they always seem too, either skewn or misproportioned. Is there any special trick to get a texture that is designed as a close up to work on a texture that is viewed from several hundred feet.

Also with the populations. I hear people talking about masks all the time but haven't figured out from the various topics, how to accomplish some of the rather magnificent rock formations that we see in the galleries. Any tips for distribution of populations?

Re the disproportional stuff, you might want to check the cam you use for the projection, if any... maybe make sure it is above the render cam at some altitude and looking straight down, pitch -90°.

Don't know about the other stuff.

AM.

EDIT:

Re. the textures: I made the mistake first of using photographs for texturing (which works to some extend), but I guess you need proper texture maps - not my forté- that have -for example- no light baked into them. Try the free viewer at www.spiralgraphics.biz.

Harvey Birdman

What exactly is it you're having difficulties texturing? Terrain? Plants? Imported objects? The issues and solutions are different depending on what you're trying to do.

Same can be said for the use of masks to control populations (or surface shaders in general). Basically, though, the idea there is to use grayscale images to control the distribution, right? A typical scenario (for me, anyway) would involve limiting the area where grass might be applied. I'd create a camera with an orthographic view, place it high enough above the scene so as to encompass the desired area, point it straight down and render the scene. (No atmo, no shadows). Then using a good image processor (I'm partial to Paint.NET), I'd create overlays, painting them black where I don't want a particular feature, white where I do. Blur it as desired to smooth the transitions.

Then, use an image shader and import the layer you saved out as the mask. Select 'Position Center' or whatever it is and give it the same X and Z coordinates as used for the ortho view. Select 'Planar Y' for the projection and set the size to the size of the region depicted in the mask (the size of the region shot with the ortho camera).

You can now hook it up to the blending input of a shader. You'll have to mess with settings to get the desired effect - it can enforce a really firm boundary or have no effect at all, depending on the settings in the shader.

Oh, and a really, really good resource for textures is http://lemog.fr/.

PG

texturing anything :P but mainly terrain. Also can't seem to texture the grass clump object and I can't seem to figure out how to grout my bathroom. but yeah the terrain is the bit that's troubling me.
I'm giving the masks bit now, thanks for the little tutorial
Figured out how to do clicky signatures