Debate

Started by rcallicotte, January 07, 2008, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I'm debating about putting this on the Rendus site.  Here is my present debate (with myself).  Feel free to join in.

The terrain here is a combination of work between what DH built, which is a superb rock system, and some changes I made.  I also made changes to the texturing.  Not wanting to call something completely mine, when I know so much work was accomplished by DH, but I have made significant changes and worked on it for some time.  Nevertheless, before I go further, I thought I would see what reasoning might move me in one direction or another.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

the foreground stones are looking really good...

although I dont quite get what the debate is about??...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

This is my quandary -

I understand taking TGCs and TGDs to learn from and even change around and mix up and completely alter.  These I don't have a problem calling my own.  But, in this case, the basis for the appearance of these rocks is almost completely your work.  I couldn't have done this at all without your work.  These are a strong set of stones.   ;D  Anyway, it would be wrong for me to call it completely my work, if I didn't completely alter what you've done.  I have altered it a lot, but not enough yet that I think of it as my own.

It's a matter of ethics, I guess.  In the programming, writing, and art world, a lot of what I'd call "stealing ideas" goes on.  How far away am I from that?  That's my debate.

dhavalmistry

well....since you have made a lot of changes to the nodes here...you can say you build them with a little help from me! :)

I will be happy with that!

rcallicotte

Okay.  I'll do that.

Now...if I really alter these babies, then I won't have the worries of what comes from where.  That's appropriate, true?

dhavalmistry

Seth

hehehe post and give some credit to Dhav ;)
i like the foreground and the texture of the rock"s cool

rcallicotte

I've reached my 2 picture a day limit, when only uploading 1 picture.  Maybe tomorrow...

Thanks for your dialogue.

moodflow

First, tell that Dhaval guy "tough luck pal"!!!   Solves that ethical debate right there.  ;D

Second off, I see some great potential in this image.  I think the rocks need some more surface texturing though, and it looks like GI is not set high enough, as well as the shadows being too sharp.  This could be due to the renderer as I see this alot in my own images.

Otherwise, I really like how this is coming out.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Thanks, Moodflow.  Eeetsah sayahnarah ni-i-i-i-ce geauy. 

;D

Seriously, thanks.  I think I'm just going to reconstruct the texturing and maybe some of the terrain.  I really want to call this my own, which mean some work.  Thanks to DH, I can learn from what he's done and then I'm going build some more on that.  Surface texturing will be next.  And then I'll present again.

dhavalmistry

I dont know if you have figured out this yet or not but if you want ground surfacing...all you have to do is move the fake stone shader on the top to all the way bottom of the shading tree....

see node screen shot for more details...

Tangled-Universe

I don't think those stones need more texturing, I think it looks just fine. Good work!
Like Daval said himself, simply credit him for the stones and post it right away! :)

Martin

rcallicotte

This is different than what I have done with your previous work.  Looks like you've been busy.   :D

I'll post this today sometime.  By the way, it took 63 hours to render. 

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 07, 2008, 09:31:17 PM
I dont know if you have figured out this yet or not but if you want ground surfacing...all you have to do is move the fake stone shader on the top to all the way bottom of the shading tree....

see node screen shot for more details...