Well, I sold my Vue 6.

Started by moodflow, January 12, 2008, 08:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodflow

Its all TG2 from here on out.  I just didn't use Vue.  I think TG2 has the same (and better) capabilities.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

I agree with you on this one...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Interesting, moodflow.  I was thinking about buying it a month ago.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

just trying it... it's real good... very different from TG2 but reall good man...

Will

its great if you need a quick way to make a forest, but its can't do planets at all.

also its had the worst memory management of all time...
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

sjefen

I have not tested Vue, but I've seen a lot of images made with it and I must say that the clouds really sucks. I can always tell if a image have been made with Vue.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Sethren

Indeed, Vues atmosphere system lacks. The clouds are missing a lot of shadow details and defined bumping, there to soft, to painterly.

Eco-Systems are about all i liked about Vue as far as any major features are concerned.

dhavalmistry

yes I agree with Sethren about Eco-Systems....I would love to have similar features in TG2 especially painting and erasing populations....

child@play

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 13, 2008, 11:00:47 PM
especially painting and erasing populations....

that would be very usefull
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

moodflow

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 13, 2008, 11:00:47 PM
yes I agree with Sethren about Eco-Systems....I would love to have similar features in TG2 especially painting and erasing populations....

Actually, you can do this in TG2, provided you have done some pre-work.  I'm in the process of building some clip files that include different types of foliage with certain ratios to each other, all placed via fractal maps (or image maps if needed).  THEN, this is all placed via fractal maps (or image maps) for the scene.   If using image maps, just use photoshop to "paint" just as you can due natively in Vue.  Vue makes it easier to do this right off the bat, but overall, there is less flexibility, especially for macro scenes.  I couldn't stand Vue's handling of altitude and slope for materials placement.  TG2 does this flawlessly.

Will

Hey displacement works thats already above and beyond vue...
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: moodflow on January 14, 2008, 11:19:44 AM
Actually, you can do this in TG2, provided you have done some pre-work.  I'm in the process of building some clip files that include different types of foliage with certain ratios to each other, all placed via fractal maps (or image maps if needed).  THEN, this is all placed via fractal maps (or image maps) for the scene.   If using image maps, just use photoshop to "paint" just as you can due natively in Vue.  Vue makes it easier to do this right off the bat, but overall, there is less flexibility, especially for macro scenes.  I couldn't stand Vue's handling of altitude and slope for materials placement.  TG2 does this flawlessly.

yes I agree with you here but painting eco-systems in vue is much easier than TG2 way....it would be better if TG2 populations were this easy to distribute without any pre-work!

also the material editor of vue is confusing but vue also comes with lot of material presets (which are low quality)

Revenant

i use both softwares, i think it depends on what do you want to create with ;-)

Sethren

The thing that bothers me though is stacking piles and piles of nodes just to do an eco-system and i still have not figured out a way to vary the color tonality in a single group of trees if such a thing is possible.

I liked Vue's material editor unless your are talking about the nodal material editor and not the basic editor. I can't imagine it being any more difficult then using nodes in Terragen 2.

moodflow

Quote from: Sethren on January 15, 2008, 06:17:18 AM
The thing that bothers me though is stacking piles and piles of nodes just to do an eco-system and i still have not figured out a way to vary the color tonality in a single group of trees if such a thing is possible.

I liked Vue's material editor unless your are talking about the nodal material editor and not the basic editor. I can't imagine it being any more difficult then using nodes in Terragen 2.

Actually, to change the color tonality, you can connect the surfaces of each tree to different shaders.  Thats one way for now, but I am researching other methods. 

Vue's methods of foliage are easier off the bat, but I think TG2 can produce them better long term and in grander scale.  I have yet to see many macro scale Vue renders that are impressive.  There are a few though.

As with what Revenant said, its what you want to create with.  I'm not slamming Vue, but just never used it due to preferring TG2's methods and UI.