Speeders and Buildings

Started by Ogre, January 14, 2008, 03:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre

Finally had a moment to complete 2 small modeling projects.

A set of Buildings
http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item281

A Set of Speeders
http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item277
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

bigben

Thanks for these.  :)

Would it be possible for you to also make available the shorter "tower" on its own? The two single buildings could then be used in a mixed population to provide a random set of combinations.

It would also be posible to create extra height variations by duplicating a population and offsetting the population object vertically.

.... Now we just need Harvey's avatar for a full set  ;)

Ogre

I would be happy to but I guess I am confused at to what you want. Each building is a seperate tgo.  Do you want the base objects I pieced them together from?

-Gordon Lightfoot

bigben

Building 1 consists of a central "tower" with 4 adjoining blocks. What would be nice, is to have of those side buildings on its own. Overlapping two populations of each single building would create a random overlapping of buildings would provide more variation than just having 3 fixed combinations (of limited use admittedly, but it's still of use)

Virex

Ofseting them verticaly, you mean like building multi-story buldings?

Ogre

The single tower already included should meet this need as that is what I used to create the other 2 combnination towers.  All I did was cut off the bottom 5 floors to create the smaller side towers. The single tower could just be vertically sunk into the ground in 5 meter increments (5 meters per floor) to create a "smaller" tower. 

What I will do for this and the other building sets I am releasing will be to release a set of componenets such as a 20 story set of floors and the top seperately so you can mix and match.

Now available at http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item282

-Gordon Lightfoot

bigben

Quote from: Ogre on January 15, 2008, 09:06:38 AM
... The single tower could just be vertically sunk into the ground in 5 meter increments (5 meters per floor) to create a "smaller" tower. 

I was just thinking of the same thing... it was late ;)

The building parts are great!   ;D

bigben

Quote from: Virex on January 15, 2008, 07:42:42 AM
Ofseting them verticaly, you mean like building multi-story buldings?

Yes.

Duplicate population (ie use the same population seed & density shader)
Set offset of child object (Y + 75m in this case - 15 floors @ 5m per floor)
To create custom combinations you could also offset the object horizontally

bigben

There is an issue with populations with this object related to the population render quality setting. Unless the render quality is set to highest you will get orange spikes sticking out of buildings. The lower the render quality setting the longer the spikes and the closer to the camera they appear.

(not related to smooth normals)

The attached render shows a population of compsite buildings with each section of the building having a different render quality setting.

Side tower = highest
Top section = medium
Bottom section = lowest

The roof sections appear to be a little high (see the small gap), but using
offset = (5 x number of floors) -1
seems to work OK so it's not a real problem..

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: bigben on January 14, 2008, 04:31:21 PM
.... Now we just need Harvey's avatar for a full set  ;)

Say what now?

;D

Hey, Ogre, thanks for these. I snarfed the Speeders off Ashundar as soon as you posted them. Can't do anything with them at the moment... but soon.

Ogre

Quote from: bigben on January 15, 2008, 05:45:09 PM
There is an issue with populations with this object related to the population render quality setting. Unless the render quality is set to highest you will get orange spikes sticking out of buildings. The lower the render quality setting the longer the spikes and the closer to the camera they appear.

(not related to smooth normals)

The attached render shows a population of compsite buildings with each section of the building having a different render quality setting.

Side tower = highest
Top section = medium
Bottom section = lowest

The roof sections appear to be a little high (see the small gap), but using
offset = (5 x number of floors) -1
seems to work OK so it's not a real problem..

The spikes are most likely a result of the displacement mask on the brick layer. Try and remove that displacement image mask.

The offset of -1M is necessary because the origin of the object is 1M above the lowest point meaning the obect by default will sit 1M below ground. I always do this so the object looks ok with varied ground displacement. This is hard to see in TG2 the way it handles objects. Here is a quick pic of what I mean.

-Gordon Lightfoot

bigben

Quote from: Ogre on January 17, 2008, 11:45:21 AM

The spikes are most likely a result of the displacement mask on the brick layer. Try and remove that displacement image mask.

The offset of -1M is necessary because the origin of the object is 1M above the lowest point meaning the obect by default will sit 1M below ground. I always do this so the object looks ok with varied ground displacement. This is hard to see in TG2 the way it handles objects. Here is a quick pic of what I mean.

It's not the displacement image... I used CTRL-D to duplicate the population and oddly the displacement image on the duplicates was empty (but it was OK on the original) ???  With populations you get the added complication of TG2 simplifying the object with distance, which in this case appears to have adverse effects. At least there's an easy way around it.

The offset makes sense.