Canyon Wall *FINAL* + Tutorial :)

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 20, 2008, 10:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zhotfire

Incredible detail... wonderfully done!  8)

moodflow

Incredible rock!  Did you tilt the camera some on this?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Tangled-Universe

Thank you everybody for your kind comments. I'm considering to render a new version though with GI 3/3 and then hope it's good enough :)
Rendering 4/4 instead of 3/3 takes about 6-7 times longer, incredible difference!

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on January 20, 2008, 07:33:12 PM
Excellent job, very realistic although I have to agree with sjefen about the grainy GI in the shadows.

Thank you both (Sjefen too)! Yeah Sjefen as well as you are right about this and I didn't expect the grain to show up while rendering it with GI 4/4 and atmo samples @ 100.

Quote from: old_blaggard on January 20, 2008, 05:30:18 PM
Great job!  The detail here really is fantastic.  The shadows look a little blue/green to me - is that your textures or some odd shadow settings?

Thanks o_b :) Good eyes for colors ;) The original render was quite reddish so I reduced the red in all channels. Probably a little bit too much.

Quote from: Oshyan on January 20, 2008, 05:14:46 PM
These rock structures are absolutely stunning. Extremely realistic! There seem to be some odd edge colors on the vegetation needles, but it may be the laptop LCD I'm on...

- Oshyan

Thanks Oshyan. The vegetation was rendered seperately and I have added a slight blur because the edges weren't anti-aliased enough. I'll post another version without this specific postwork within an hour.

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 20, 2008, 06:37:08 PM
This is a great image. A question if I may how did you get the displacement of the surface like that, I'd be interested to know?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  
Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 20, 2008, 09:44:44 PM
this is amazing TU....I really like the small detailed displacements....are you using the same technique as you used in stratas???....

Thank you both! For you and other interested people I've attached a screenshot of the node-network and you'll soon discover that it is very similar to my strata image.
So nothing really special except for a couple of nodes.

Feel free to ask anything.

Martin

Tangled-Universe

@ Osyhan:

This one is with unblurred needles...

Seth

excellent !
most excellent render !

rcallicotte

blubber, blubber, blubber... :P  wow
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

There still seems to be a brownish edge around the needles, especially in the lower part where they are against darker shadow. Not sure if they're supposed to look like that but it caught my eye in any case. Still a superb scene regardless. :)

- Oshyan

DaveC

Great point of view, and the cliff face seems right on the money to me.

dhavalmistry

hey TU...can I ask what is the value in "Constant colour 01_1"
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 23, 2008, 10:03:03 PM
hey TU...can I ask what is the value in "Constant colour 01_1"

Yeah sure, I'll post it asap, I'm currently at work so I don't have access.

Martin

Tangled-Universe

Hey Dhaval,

The value is 0.2
Moodflow told me that node is meant to 'round' the voronoi, make them less square.
Good luck!

Martin

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

jcinbama

Tangled-Universe

Thank you all so far guys!
I'm still not finished with this one and also have some other project going on which I hope to post soon.
Could take a while since I'm not so fast with this program and do spend a lot of time on testing.

I thought it would be nice to show a high-res version rendered @ quality 0.9, AA 12 and GI 3/3. Rendertime....too long ;D
A lot of detail showed up at this resolution and I really liked it.
Next step is to work on the model again because I wasn't satisfied enough with it.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Martin