Hurricane/tornado

Started by Alfamike, January 21, 2008, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfamike

Hello,

I went through some of the hurricane and tornado TGDs on this site and thought it had to be possible to achieve this effect -to some extend- from within TG. It got me pondering and I came up with this "macro" (see below).

The whirl works. The density fractal is stretched in either X or Z, so that more or less linear clouds are generated. These are then rotated around a centre. The amount of rotation is a function of two parameters (speed and angle) and of the ditance from the centre of the whirl that will be generated.

?: I'm struggling to get the last few functions in place so that the density shader for "cirrus layer 01" represents the whirly clouds.

Any help is much appreciated. Hope to hear.

Warm winds! And blue skies!

AM.

dhavalmistry

I gave up trying to understand the nodes before even I started to look at them.....lol...I hope it makes sense to you....

anyways....this could be a breakthrough for achieving the tornadoes/hurricanes....atleast for orbital renders if not for regular on land renders.....

good work!....a rendered example would be good....although I am certain that the render time is way too high!

**EDIT**

being the density shader down to where it is when you create a new cloud layer, then add a surface layer as an input of density fractal and then use the macro you have created as the child layer.....also use this as the blending shader!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

Great job!  I have tried a couple of times to get something like this, but I'm finally happy to see it realized.  Hopefully you'll share the final result :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

j meyer

Looks very promising indeed.And i also hope that you'll share.

rcallicotte

Please share.  Looks complicated.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Alfamike

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 22, 2008, 12:01:00 AM
I gave up trying to understand the nodes before even I started to look at them.....lol...I hope it makes sense to you....

anyways....this could be a breakthrough for achieving the tornadoes/hurricanes....atleast for orbital renders if not for regular on land renders.....

good work!....a rendered example would be good....although I am certain that the render time is way too high!

**EDIT**

being the density shader down to where it is when you create a new cloud layer, then add a surface layer as an input of density fractal and then use the macro you have created as the child layer.....also use this as the blending shader!

Thanks Guys,

It was actually quite simple. I'll have a look at the suggestion above and come back in a bit, probably not today though. I'll then post a tgd or clip too.

Thanks again.

AM.

Alfamike

Hey dhavalmistry, I had a go at your suggestion, but can't get it to work. I still miss some basic knowledge... on many subjects. Thanks anyway!

I have attached the tgd for anyone to play with and hopefully someone can get it to work. This is as far as I could take it.

The whirl is simple and the function with which the angle of rotation differs can be adapted to change the shape of the thing.

Hope someone can get it to work for the clouds, that would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Good luck and hope to hear!

AM.

zionner

Good Idea,

not sure if it makes a diffrence to anyone, but I've made a slight change to node structure:

I'll upload the TGD if its requested, but heres the Screen Print of the results so far (Still needs work)

dhavalmistry

I have added a node as well....

and AM you were doing right you connected the surface layer as the blending shader but you didnt turn on the blending.....

anyways....I think we need more control over the spirals and distance between spirals and some other things....

**EDIT**

sorry forgot to add the tgd file....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Alfamike

Thanks zionner and dhavalmistry.

I agree it'd be nice to have more control over the spiral, but I am only a simplemind. (I'll have a go at it a bit later)

Thanks for the screenshots. I'll copy the nodes and have a play.

AM.

j meyer

Made some rather quick tests and this is what i got
so far.Don't know if i'll find the time to go on with it
in the next days though,but maybe someone else can
take it further. ;)
The tgd is attached so you can see what i've done.

rcallicotte

Made some adjustments to the lower, different than anything done so far.  Not a vortex, but very interesting clouds.

Thanks for your hard work, Alfamike.  This has generated some interesting responses.

Alfamike

Thanks for all the responses.

Hi j meyer & calico,
Will download your tgd's in a mo. I like the clouds in calico's screenshot. .

Just started to try and add some noise to the whirl, make it look less perfect, more distorted and add some more parameters for control.... really no promises there though. Got bogged down on my first attempt.

Please, anybody who's interested take any of the TGD's above and try what I'm trying here, or any alternative ways, maybe not using functions but shaders instead(?). I am still fairly new to TG2 and definately to the function nodes.

Good luck and hope to see some more stuff here. Thanks again.

AM.

EDIT:

The 4 trig functions can be replaced by just two if you look carefully.. speeds it up a little.

Oshyan

This looks extremely promising. Keep it up folks!

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3251.0 - work done from this modified TGD from Alfamike.  Need more work on it to eliminate unnatural lines.