Hurricane/tornado

Started by Alfamike, January 21, 2008, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Had some fun with Mr_L's geometrical clouds. ;D

rcallicotte

Freaky.  Cool.  And has anyone tried a tornado shape?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

j meyer

I've done some tests with an inverted cone,but couldn't
get the right size as far as combining with the hurricane.

rcallicotte

Not saying I've done anything yet, but we don't need to use the hurricane clouds.  Just some dark clouds with some dark green and black colors with a solid spooky looking front would do.  I'm sure this sounds simpler than it might be, but it could work to drop the tornado right out of that.

Quote from: j meyer on February 21, 2008, 09:07:53 AM
I've done some tests with an inverted cone,but couldn't
get the right size as far as combining with the hurricane.

j meyer

Wanna play?

sonshine777

Do the clouds made this way always touch the ground? And (Question for Planetdie Staff) is there a way to get rid of the horizon line that runs through the cloud?

rcallicotte

j meyer

sonshine777: as for the single objects no you can have them
floating above the ground and for the more complex thingies
i don't know yet,have to do some more tests.Will keep you
posted. ;)

calico:  ;D

j meyer

Yep,it works,you can let them fly.Sometimes little adjustments are
required to retain shape,but that should be no problem.
If you need a tgd just tell me which and i'll clean it/them up and post
it/them.

old_blaggard

sonshine - the horizon problem is already fixed in the current alpha :).
Very cool formations you all have going here!  I haven't had time to contribute anything, but watching the progress and development has been quite interesting :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mr_Lamppost

Those are some freaky formations

The method I have been using gives all the shapes a definite hard boundary but they may be more useful it they were re-jigged so that they had soft boundaries which could be blended with fractal shapes to give a more "Natural" look. I have some ideas and will look at this when I get a chance.

I have been away from this for a bit but worked on this yesterday, I think this is the shape people are waiting for  :) ;)
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

rcallicotte

Mr. Lampost, can we rely on the numbers we see in your illustration to recreate this.  This is a wonderful discovery and could even apply to whirlpools.  With water tranparency, this could get pretty cool, as well as it makes me wonder about waves (aka - crashing waves).

...and, by the way, the gauntlet has been tossed down about making waves, now that this has been done.  I sorta am stirring the pot.   :-[

j meyer

Mr_L. you did it again 8) ;D
Can't wait to see the "natural" look.

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: calico on February 21, 2008, 09:05:36 PM
Mr. Lampost, can we rely on the numbers we see in your illustration to recreate this. 

Yes, I all the numbers you need are there. The node network is the one actually producing the render, I just moved the render window over the preview and did a screen grab.  The cloud layer settings are the same as used in the previous examples.  Experiment with the second Constant Vector (To the right of the disabled Subtract Vector), to change the thickness and shape.

Be warned this one is quite slow.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Volker Harun

This thread is amazing, folks!