Hurricane/tornado

Started by Alfamike, January 21, 2008, 09:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfamike

Hey all!

Have been trying to get some better whirls the long way around without succes. As always, the beauty is in simplicity.

This is the TGD as my first one posted here was supposed to be. That's why I had the Y to scale connected to the build vector at the bottom... however there don't seem to be Y-values coming out of the Get Pos function....?

Am still working on more.

Looking forward to your reactions.

Good luck.
AM.

EDIT: Sorry the TGD is a mess, will sort it out and repost in a bit.

EDIT^EDIT: Ok, done.

EDIT: Render example. 800*600,detail 0.3, AA 3, 3D vol clouds quality 0.3. Render time 6.5 mins.
Using free version at work now, can't get my license key to work here. boo.

dhavalmistry

ohhhhh....very very nice....good progress.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Alfamike - I have not been using this most recent file, but here is a TGC with your original work along with quite a few changes at the bottom.  My problem now is figuring how much rotation to give to each component (x or y or z).  I'm assuming y is the right coordinate for the sort of rotation we'd like to create.

I'll check your newest files later today.

Someone have any input or insight?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Alfamike

Hi calico,

I'll have a look at your clip in a bit. Thanks for the efforts, appreciated. I think the nodes can be simplified and so the function as a whole sped up a bit, but that's for later.

Just logged on to see if I could find a tgd someone made before that i saw on this site a while back. I think he/she managed to apply a 3D shader to the clouds. This is what I am currently struggling with. 's Got to be possible!

Plugging my new whirl into a displacement shader, gives something beginning to look a little like a 3D "vortex".

Back later.

AM.

EDIT:

Try this: Put a rotate vector function (any) between your cloud density shader and the cloudlayer and set the rotation angle to anything but 0... watch the render preview.... weird or what?

moodflow

This is impressive work!

I just wish we had a way to vary a cloud layer vertically as well.  This clip file would make that very interesting.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Alfamike

Quote from: moodflow on January 25, 2008, 06:50:24 PM
This is impressive work!

I just wish we had a way to vary a cloud layer vertically as well.  This clip file would make that very interesting.

Hey moodflow,

You saying it's not possible to vary them along the y-axis? I've just been trying for a few hours to no avail... guess I was going to come to that conclusion a bit later today.

This is unfortunate. Guess The cloud height and depth settings sort of give it away.

AM.

Alfamike

Drat! Well...... failing that, how about applying it to water instead?

Anybody have any ideas about applying vertical cloud density shading? Suggestions will be much appreciated... and disected! Hah.

I have one idea of putting many (and I mean MANY) thin multiple cloud layers on top of eachother (leaving a little vertical spacing between each layer) and rotating each layer is if it was a horizontal slice of a whirl, sort of thing. But I don't think I'll try that one for now.

Still working on the shape of the eddy.

AM.

Mr_Lamppost

Nice whirlpool  ;D

I have my own ideas about procedural hurricanes so have deliberately not looked at the details published so far.  I don't want to be influenced until I have tried my approach.  What I have in mind may not work but if the methods are different someone may be able to take the best of both and...
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Alfamike

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on January 25, 2008, 08:51:17 PM
Nice whirlpool  ;D

I have my own ideas about procedural hurricanes so have deliberately not looked at the details published so far.  I don't want to be influenced until I have tried my approach.  What I have in mind may not work but if the methods are different someone may be able to take the best of both and...

Sounds good. Please come back when you're sort of happy with your findings. I definately still have lots to learn.

Hope to hear from you and others!

AM.

EDIT:
Maybe Planetside can let us know for sure whether this vertical cloud density shading is (im)possible as a direct input into the Cloud Layer Density? 'Cause I'll keep at it for a wee while longer.

Alfamike

Hi,

Here's one I put together quickly. Hell of a render time, and that with shortcuts!

Needs lots more work.

Any suggestions?

AM.

j meyer

If you are able to you could try to use a logarhythmic spiral
instead or any other spiral type that gets wider to the outside.
(i hope that makes some sense) I hope that that the outer
regions would show more space between the clouds this way.
Would do that myself if i had the slightest mathematical
understanding. ;)

Alfamike

Quote from: j meyer on January 26, 2008, 05:14:36 PM
If you are able to you could try to use a logarhythmic spiral
instead or any other spiral type that gets wider to the outside.
(i hope that makes some sense) I hope that that the outer
regions would show more space between the clouds this way.
Would do that myself if i had the slightest mathematical
understanding. ;)

Yep, correct.

This one was just a formula I came up with myself. Will try your logarithmic spiral or an Archemedean one, once I'm happy I can get closer to some sort of satisfying result overall.  :P

It's a shame the density shader probably only works in the XZ plane because I wanted to rebuild the function to a Concho spiral. Even though that would be slightly more elaborate than my current whirl function, it would very likely beat the render times for the image I put up above.

AM.

Mr_Lamppost

Here is the first test rendered with any real quality of my procedural hurricane set up. There is some work to do yet.

The node network is a total mess at the moment I will go away and tidy it up before posting  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on January 27, 2008, 07:56:44 AM
Here is the first test rendered with any real quality of my procedural hurricane set up. There is some work to do yet.

The node network is a total mess at the moment I will go away and tidy it up before posting  ;D

O wow man, this looks really great! Can't wait to see Stephen (NVSeal) implement this in of his orbital renders ;D