Newbie - 2 questions

Started by romi, January 17, 2008, 11:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

Go to the Sequence/Output tab in your Render Options.

There are three fields:
Output image filename
Extra output images
Micro exporter

Extra output images is the alpha channel option.

When you render a sequence (for a single frame just render frame 0001 to 0001), you will have two images rendered. For example:

C:/temp.%04d.bmp                   (this is the red, green, blue channels)
C:/temp.IMAGETYPE.%04d.bmp   (this is the alpha channel)

If you did the above and looked in your C: directory after rendering, you'll find the following two files:

temp.0001.bmp
temp.alpha.0001.bmp
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

Thanks, Jim.  Understanding the names and how things works is a great assistance.  Thanks. 

Everything is in working order.   8)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Probably a stupid question, but what's the alpha channel? The sky?

JimB

The Alpha Channel is a greyscale image that defines transparency, used for compositing different images together in apps such as Photoshop, Shake, After Effects, etc. Basically, a greyscale image mask, just like you would use for an image based blending shader (white is solid, black is transparent, grey is semi-transparent).

If you do a normal render, with surfaces and atmosphere switched on, etc, you'll find the terrain and clouds are solid white, but the sky will graduate from solid white at the horizon to grey at the top. I assume this is because the sky has a depth, it gets thinner with altitude but there is only empty space beyond the sky (therefore nothing to render beyond the sky).

If you switch off atmosphere completely in your render options, you will find the terrain solid white, but the sky will be solid black in the Alpha Channel rendered frame.

If you go to your atmosphere options (where you add clouds, etc) and switch off Enable Primary for the actual atmosphere node itself, then the terrain and clouds will be solid white, but the sky itself will be solid black.

NB: When I say the clouds will be solid white, I mean they will be grey at the edges according to the transparency of the clouds.

Make any sense?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Tangled-Universe

I know what an alpha channel is ;D I asked what THE alpha channel is, not what AN alpha channel is ;D haha....next time I'll be more clear in asking :)
But thanks for your explanation and yes it makes sense :)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

EBAndrew

Awesome! That's a feature I didn't even know I wanted! Thanks for the heads up Jim!
-Andrew