Scaling clouds

Started by romi, January 18, 2008, 09:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romi

ok, so i got some clouds but they're a little too big for my scene. whats the best way to scale them? is it in the density fractal (cloud fractal shader v3) dialog -> and tweaking the feature scale and lead-in scale values? and what is the difference between these 2 parameters? boy, i could use a reference manual for TG2.

thanks,
Rom
snowblindstudios.com

dhavalmistry

you have got it right....to scale the clouds down...you have to adjust those 2 settings....mainly feature scale.....

Feature scale: the size of the clouds....higher the number, bigger the clouds

Lead in Scale: the distance between two clouds....higher the number, more scattered the clouds...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

child@play

you can scale them down aswell by adjusting the density fractals noise stretch XYZ settings, under the 'tweak noise' tab. good method if you want to keep the clouds look and just want to have it smaller.
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

dhavalmistry

Quote from: child@play on January 18, 2008, 11:00:24 AM
you can scale them down aswell by adjusting the density fractals noise stretch XYZ settings, under the 'tweak noise' tab. good method if you want to keep the clouds look and just want to have it smaller.

yea good point....I forgot about that!

choronr

Thank you both for this helpful info.

bigben

I've been trying to come to grips with cloud scaling... mainly getting the thickness I want. This is what seems to work for me at the moment.

• Set the desired cloud depth
  • Set the cloud density fractal's feature scale to the same value
  • Adjust the cloud density fractal's  Lead-in scale and Coverage adjust values to change the width of clouds and spacing between them
  • Tweak cloud density fractal's contrast and roughness to adjust amount of "noise"
  • Then start messing with the cloud density and edge sharpness.

It still gets a bit hit and miss the further you go along but it's getting a bit more predictable for me.

rcallicotte

Thanks, BigBen.  This is helpful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dhavalmistry

if you want to learn from examples, then I think you should check this old topic out!....

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=244.0

romi

thanks guys for the pointers and links! much appreciated.

cheers,
Rom