O/S Versions

Started by FrankThomas, January 04, 2007, 03:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankThomas

Will TG2 run ok on 2K/2003 Server ?

The reason I ask is that they will support much more RAM than the workstation version which can only be a good thing :)

Pedt

Quote from: FrankThomas on January 04, 2007, 03:03:59 PM
Will TG2 run ok on 2K/2003 Server ?

We put it on Win2003 Enterprise Server this morning. Working fine - I haven't heard a peep out of Tash since ;D

What I did find essential, as the Server was supposed to be, errm, serving  :)  was to hoick Tash off for a moment to set the tgd.exe Base Priority to "Below Normal". At normal priority I was getting failed connections and timeouts accessing the server from the other boxes - nothing since.

Maybe not relevant but Tash can't recall a crash / TG2 disappearing on her. During the brief play on the Win2K boxes previously (non-server), it was disappearing often enough that she was getting frustrated.

FrankThomas

:) that sounds like a plan then.  I'm not planning on using a server that anyone else has access to.  I just want it for the RAM support etc.  All I have to do now is convince work that they need an extra 2003 server licence :)

RedSquare

Aw! there's me thinking that you had popped one under your arm. :D

FrankThomas

not yet I haven't but I go back to work on monday so who knows what'll go missing hehehehe

Oshyan

We haven't tested server versions of Windows OS's at this point but it's good to hear it works fine. It's not terribly surprising since the server versions aren't dramatically different under the hood.

I can't say for certain whether we will be officially supporting server versions of Windows for the final release but we'll release info on the supported and recommended system specifications closer to the product launch.

- Oshyan

FrankThomas

as a side(ish) question, how many processors/cores will the multithreaded version support ? There may be a rather tasty box becoming available soonish which I might be able to get my hands on - it'll run 2x quad core Xeon processors so it should be a blinder for rendering (ex SQL database server y'see)

Bit of an outside bet but you never know

Oshyan

We plan to support as many CPU's/cores as are available. There may be a practical limit to the number of threads that can be efficiently managed, but it should be in excess of the 8 you'd have on a dual CPU, quad core machine. We are currently licensing per-system rather than per-CPU or per-core and with the increase in multi-core CPU's I don't expect that to change.

- Oshyan

The Geostation

Oshyan, thanks for the clarification on the "per system rather than per core" aspect of the license.   It was something that I was wondering about.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation