Hurricane Wallpaper

Started by nvseal, January 29, 2008, 03:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

The same file as my other hurricane images, just a different angle. Took 5 hours to render.

Seth

what can i say ?!
great great render again !!!
I love it !

dhavalmistry

yea thanx for the wallpaper!...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

Great image, although I would have liked less black and more amazingly realistic planet ;).  You should *really* write a tutorial about how you achieve these effects.  You don't even need to share your specific settings; documenting the thought process and logic in getting this would be enough.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

nvseal

Quote from: old_blaggard on January 29, 2008, 04:42:17 PM
Great image, although I would have liked less black and more amazingly realistic planet ;).  You should *really* write a tutorial about how you achieve these effects.  You don't even need to share your specific settings; documenting the thought process and logic in getting this would be enough.

Thanks, I'm actually thinking about changing the image size and shape on this one and making a very large version (although I am limited to the size of the mask). I might try to come up with some kind of explanation later.

Will

Why is the mask rez to small or it it a matter of RAM?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

nvseal

Well, I actually just checked my mask again and the resolution was 5600 something, so it actually shouldn't be a problem for the size I'm thinking of.

moodflow

I think you should take this to the next level - an actual animation.  Of course you could render it in a much smaller resolution.   

The only drawback I see is there is some lost detail on the far side of the 'cane (likely due to the image map). 

Either way, incredible work.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

nvseal

The other drawback I see is that I don't animation.  ;D

Will

peth details  :D

have you tried looking down into the eye?

Bidmaron

There is a separate thread of trying to do hurricane and tornado clouds (http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3227.0).  You seem to have solved this, at least at the global level.  Perhaps your techniques could help those trying to solve the spiral cloud formation problems.  Willing to share?
--Dale--

Will

He's using a image file as a mask the thread you linked to there is talking about using functions to create one procedurally.

Bidmaron

Oh, sorry. (Isn't that almost cheating?)

Will

eh depends on how its done, as long as its note putting a real photo on a planet though PS or something its still counts.

nvseal

Quote from: Bidmaron on January 29, 2008, 07:30:51 PM
Oh, sorry. (Isn't that almost cheating?)

Hey, don't rub it in. I don't like having to do anymore than anyone else.   ;)

@ Will: I havn't tried to look into the eye yet. I'll have to try it sometime.