Position of clouds

Started by treddie, January 26, 2008, 01:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treddie

Howdie all.
This is my first trip to the forums.  I was ready to do some homework but noticed that the forums do not have a search engine.
My question that I was trying to find info on is this.  The clouds pattern is generated in a little square display of the same size as the terrain display, giving the impression that the cloud pattern will land as shown right over the terrain.  But clearly, the clouds in the render do not look at all like the clouds in the pattern, so it is impossible to know just how your clouds are going to look and where your clouds are going to end up, unless you wait for the preview to update (very slow).  Is there something I'm missing here?  If not, it would be nice that the pattern matches the render and also would be nice that if a nice pattern is found, to be able to move it around to get it in the right position for the camera(s).
Thanks,
treddie

dhavalmistry

this forum does have a search engine...its the link that says "Search"

about the small preview window....I dont really use that for clouds....I only use that to see how my clouds will have overall look....like how sharp the edges would be or how far apart the clouds would be scattered and such things...I mainly use that little window for shaders and color distribution....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

treddie

Geeeezz!!!!
Get me my glasses!
Thanks for "clearing" that up, dhavalmistry.

Oshyan

We do want to make the small 2D preview more useful and easy to manipulate in the future. This will probably happen after the coming "gold" release.

- Oshyan

j meyer

Hi,
you could install another camera at zero-x and zero-z coordinates
and a high enough y-position with -90 x-rotation,y and z zero
again.Provided that the camera is high enough you should see
the same pattern like in the preview now.And with the Transform
Shader you can then move it to where you want it.

bigben

As an interim aid I use this technique to help position clouds...  Create a new surface shader at the end of your shader list. Connect the cloud fractal's output to the child layer input of this surface shader. You now have an approximate map on the terrain surface of your clouds.

treddie

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Time to give them a try.
treddie

Seth

Quote from: Oshyan on January 26, 2008, 01:35:20 AM
We do want to make the small 2D preview more useful and easy to manipulate in the future. This will probably happen after the coming "gold" release.

- Oshyan

yahoooo !

treddie

All your suggestions work great, everybody.  Thanks again!
This node system is wonderiffic.

treddie

cyphyr

You can also add a transform shader between the cloud fractal and the cloud node. that way whan you get a nice cloud pattern but its in the wrong place relative to your scene camera, mountain etc you can simply move/offset it in the x and z axis.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

Quote from: cyphyr on January 31, 2008, 01:24:56 PM
You can also add a transform shader between the cloud fractal and the cloud node. that way whan you get a nice cloud pattern but its in the wrong place relative to your scene camera, mountain etc you can simply move/offset it in the x and z axis.
Richard

or in the y direction for some subtle variation of the same cloud formations .... maybe it would be good to have a translate noise option in the fractal nodes? There's already half of the transform shader node in their with stretch noise and it would simplify animation.