Blue-eyed Humans Have A Single, Common Ancestor

Started by Matt, February 04, 2008, 10:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealUser

Quote from: Will on April 02, 2008, 06:05:01 AM
does that also have cococola lalalalalola or is that a different one.

No idea, it's ages ago I have heard it  ...
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Dark Fire

Even more of us could be related then, if the gene is recessive (which it appears to be). :)

Will

So remember to put me in your will everyone, you shouldn't forget about o'l distant cousin Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Inscrutable

I didn't think that the derivation of eye colour was a simple case of dominant/recessive alleles, I though that it involved co-dominance.

It's been a long time since I took a biology class but I'm sure I remember something along those lines...

(btw I also have blue eyes, as do both of my children but my wife has green/brown eyes.)

Inscrutable

Mohawk20

But, if you believe the story from the bible, we all have the same ancestors anyways... which is sounding more and more believable to me every day with facts like these...
Howgh!

Will

SeerBlue

If you know at least 3 generations of your ancestors and have a face book account, add the Relatively Me application, it will, in time, connect you to oodles of people, but be warned it is only as factual as the information that has been uploaded to One Great Family. I uploaded a gedcom file of about 200 individuals I know I am related to back to the 1500's on both sides of my family and Relatively Me now lists 73609 ancestors and 185 generations,,,,,,much of which is just good for a laugh, such as individuals known only as Visigoth or Guntharr,, and it will inevitably connect you to Adam,,,which may be due to the errant individuals who have posted ill researched genealogical files.
SeerBlue

Christopher

crosseout

I'm having a real hard time seeing how there can only be one ancestor. Blue eyes are a recessive allele and therefore there either has had to be mutations in more than 1 guy, or perhaps they were twins. Anyways, it is no secret that we have blue eyes due to A LOT of in-breed...

btw, you can get a kid with blue eyes even if both the parents have brown eyes as long as both of the parents are carriers of that gene...

Will

Matt

Quote from: crosseout on April 22, 2008, 04:40:26 PM
I'm having a real hard time seeing how there can only be one ancestor. Blue eyes are a recessive allele and therefore there either has had to be mutations in more than 1 guy, or perhaps they were twins. Anyways, it is no secret that we have blue eyes due to A LOT of in-breed...

btw, you can get a kid with blue eyes even if both the parents have brown eyes as long as both of the parents are carriers of that gene...

The study shows that we have a single common ancestor. That does not mean that the first children of that ancestor weren't from different pairings of the ancestor with other blue-eye carriers. It just means that other lineages that don't have the ancestor did not survive to this day. Probably...

Anyway, hasn't it also been proven/suggested that we all have a single common ancestor if you go back far enough? Obviously this doesn't mean he/she was the first human, but it means that other lineages did not survive to this day. Pretty amazing anyway.

EDIT: Then again, if both parents carry the same gene (which they would need to, as you say), then how can the researches be sure that there is only one common ancestor and not two, or more? Hmm.. something's not right.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Will

I though it was that we all can be linked back to one of seven or something like that, after that age where we almost went extinct...for the first time.

SeerBlue

Eve is thought to be the most recent matrilineal  ancestor via mitochondrial dna, she is just one female who lived between 140,000 and 170,000 thousand years ago whose mitochondrial dna can be found in every living person, that does not mean she was the ONLY female that had descendants that survived until today, other females and their  line just have males in there somewhere and as males can not pass MDna it was flushed,  so to speak, where Eves line is purely matrilineal, over the vast scale of time it became the one. She would have came from a larger population base than 1 (of course) or 2. Ancestral Adam is about 60000 years ago.
Besides some folks posit that the most recent common ancestor ( meaning that somwhere in your tree is someone descended from this person, and hence you) that we all share could have lived as few 3000 years ago. My youngest sister and her husband, who came from a different part of the US, share  documented common ancestor in the 1400's named Martel, and through membership in a genealogical DNA group my Daughter's favorite Walmart cashier and I found out we share a common ancestor born in 1610, she is from France and I am not, though I went there once....the world is small.

Will, your are thinking of the seven daughters of Eve,some think nine, who are said to be the common ancestor of Europeans.
SeerBlue

nikita

Quote from: Matt on April 22, 2008, 07:38:29 PM
EDIT: Then again, if both parents carry the same gene (which they would need to, as you say), then how can the researches be sure that there is only one common ancestor and not two, or more? Hmm.. something's not right.

I guess whoever had the blue eye gene first can be considered a common ancestor.
This wouldn't be true if there have been two individuals who got that mutation independently from each other but I think the researchers checked that possibility. I guess this is where probability and statistics come in.