cumullus clouds again

Started by marcob, February 02, 2008, 02:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I only lied about being a thief, I don't do that anymore.

sorry its the best I could come up with...in a tight spot...
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

PG

Yeah Well I'm a Dapper Dan Man!
I'm still wondering about how I can make really tall clouds that are quite thin, the famous on of Luc's with the really tall cloud that's quite petite, it'd be really good to do that, the density shader doesn't do it very well, does it a bit but there has to be a more effective way.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

Some of the tornado / hurricane thread is addressing some of these ideas.  I think using Y stretch can work, but it's stretched.  And only some people like stuff stretched.  But, not Everett.  He's bonafide.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

calico, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart. So we may never be able to find the answer to this dillma by looking with-in ourselves, we must consult tha the developers.

^ this is why I love these forums.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

LOL. 

This has been fun.  And funner more, when we find out Luc's secrets.  Hehe.

marcob

One thing I remember from his old thread is that he said that the secret was to use densities above 10...
and one question more...what 's the difference if I plug one density node to the input of another one or to the blend shader plug-in. I did both but none gave me the result that I want.
Now I'm using a very large scale billow noise and it gave me some round puff clouds (more like splashs of mashmallow), but it lacks small details, even if I reduce the minimum scale and up the roughness. I want to add another noise with small scale above (in the same cloud) this one...to keep the shape but add detail.
I'm trying the merge shader too. I'll post some render as soon as I get something good

Seth

i thought it was above 20 (density)

rcallicotte

@marcob - I don't remember this detail, but it's great to know.  Let's see what you do, please.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: seth93 on February 03, 2008, 04:55:27 AM

I think there is never any need to have density over 5....

all can be achieved (faked) with right amount of edge sharpness, low density and most important "lighting" in the clouds...also other things but these three settings play major part in giving clouds a dense look...

but thats just me....some people like to have actual high density clouds rather than having fake look to it...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 03, 2008, 09:35:44 AM
Quote from: seth93 on February 03, 2008, 04:55:27 AM

I think there is never any need to have density over 5....

all can be achieved (faked) with right amount of edge sharpness, low density and most important "lighting" in the clouds...also other things but these three settings play major part in giving clouds a dense look...

but thats just me....some people like to have actual high density clouds rather than having fake look to it...

That's correct.
Clouds density and edge sharpness are somewhat the 'same'. I mean, low density and high sharpness produce quite similar results as high density and low edge sharpness.
Fake internal sharpness and other lighting settings are essential for further appearance.

EBAndrew

Quote from: Will on February 02, 2008, 04:49:51 PM
it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart. So we may never be able to find the answer to this dillma by looking with-in ourselves, we must consult tha the developers.

I've been looking for something that sounds deep and meaningful, but is ultimately hilarious, to get inked on me. Now I have found it.
-Andrew