Using masks and not specifying a camera

Started by Kevin F, February 11, 2008, 03:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Is this problem intermittent and how does is manifest? I ask because I've just been working on a scene using a mask to prevent small fake stones appear on top of larger ones and had no problems at all even though I hadn't specified through which camera the mask should be projected. As the scene progressed and increased in complexity (more pops etc) I suddenly couldn't move the camera at all without a complete crash. A step by step removal of all nodes/pops/objs etc traced the problem to not specifying which camera to use for the mask. I can now induce or remove the problem in the original scene with all nodes in place. Is it dependent on scene complexity/memory use? and if you have to specify the camera why doesn't it default to the render camera?

gregsandor

Do you also use a mask on the Y axis to restrict the population?

Kevin F

Quote from: gregsandor on February 11, 2008, 03:55:33 AM
Do you also use a mask on the Y axis to restrict the population?

No, not needed in this case - using fake stones and not a population. But anyhow I've solved the problem. Just me being dumb! I'd introduced the mask late on in the scene and had not moved the camera since doing so. Since the mask was also from the same camera angle I wouldn't/couldn't have done so anyway! ;D
essentially the camera has to be specified or else as soon as you move the render camera - crash!