neewbe tgo files

Started by peter12, January 01, 2009, 11:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter12

how can i use them i really don,t no
greetings peter

rcallicotte

TGO files are Terragen Object files.  Think OBJ file, but for Terragen only.  Add a TGO as you would any other object, whether individual or a population.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

deepdish

Go to the objects tab and select "add object", then pick the .tgo file you downloaded from your file browser. it will show up in the 3D preview window and you can move it around by clicking and then dragging one of the axis (the red, green, or blue arrows)

Magica

Anytime I try to add any object, whether it's a tgo or obj file, all I see is a little white cross, I can't get the image itself to show up. How do I get that to work?

Oshyan

The "white cross" is an object bounding box. You have to render to see the object itself. Terragen 2 does not currently have wireframe or shaded display of models in the 3D preview.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: Oshyan on June 05, 2009, 01:59:33 AM
The "white cross" is an object bounding box. You have to render to see the object itself. Terragen 2 does not currently have wireframe or shaded display of models in the 3D preview.

- Oshyan

Are those items on the "To Do" list, for some time after 64bit support and Import/Export which as stated in other posts are the current focus of development?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  :)

Oshyan

Wireframes are a possibility in the future. Shaded display is something we don't have plans for at this point.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Thanks Oshyan,

Wireframes for objects as long as they could be controlled on a per object basis or user defined object group, would be very helpful in object placement terms I can think of object orientation as one such case, visual information that cannot be gleaned form a bounding box.

My concern about them would be selection if there is multiple complex objects in a scene and the object want for selection is blocked by one in front of it, short of having too do some thing as unfriendly (From a user experience perspective) such as having to move the camera view is not needed, if the selection could be made via the mouse scroll wheel or some such means then it would be of benefit.

The ability to dynamically change between bounding box and wireframe would be useful, a user experience case would be, an object is loaded into Terragen.XX (Insert Version number with such functionality here) as its default the object is loaded in as a bounding box, as now, or have it brought into terragen and displayed as a wireframe directly (Maybe a preferences option) by default objects are brought in as bounding boxes (This behavior should be clearly stated in both the change log for that version and the entry for that feature in the documentation).

For speed of preview display bounding boxes would display faster than the equivalent wireframe one, there should be an automatic behavior of all of this and that is terragen should either CPU and/ or System Memory resources become critical, then all objects currently displayed will automatically return to the default bounding box state (This behavior should be well stated in both the change log and documentation, my recomendation for the documentation is that the aforementioned behavior be set out at the top in centered text, and that this text be in bold.).

Just some throats I've had on such matters since my Bryce 5.5 days.  :)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel