Populations wont reflect ?!?!

Started by cyphyr, January 05, 2007, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Hi all
I am trying to render a "Wet Lands" scene and need to see the vegitation reflected in the water. I can do this indervidualy with single objects (xFrog free content . . .) but populations dont seem to reflect. The attached imaage illustrates the issue. The tree and the clump of white grass to the left of the image reflect properly but as you can see the green "reeds" are not reflecting at all (all objects are casting shadows). I note there is a reflective shader but I cant see how to attach it to the water shader (lake), if thats the right place to put it ?
I have attached the rendered scene illustrating the effect(wetlands.jpg), the node network (wetlands node.jpg, cropped screenshot) and the wetlands.tgd file. Any help greatly appreaciated.
Thanks
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

There are several reflection-related issues we're aware of and this looks like an example of one of them. What's odd is that I I can't see why it would be happening in this case. It seems like if you just recreate the population reflections work. I suspect it's to do with how you're texturing the grass though. You're using a Surface Layer instead of the Default Shader it comes with. Default Shader seems to work fine. In the past some of the reflection issues I've had seemed related to Surface Layers. If I set "Terrain Normal" in the slope constraints tab it seemed to fix this in the past but not apparently in this case.

But regardless this is a bug and we'll look into it. In the meantime you might try recreating the population and, since you're just using a simple color for the grass anyway, try sticking with the Default Shader and just adjust color there. Alternatively you could plug a Power Fractal or other shader that outputs color values into the Color shader input on the Default Shader.

- Oshyan