European Aspen and Blackthorn TGOs

Started by mr-miley, February 14, 2008, 07:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-miley

Hi there all.

Another couple for you to play with. There is a European Aspen and a Blackthorn. I'm not too sure about the scale of the Blackthorn. I don't know if they are trees or bushes? Also I'm not sure if I scale the OBJ in TG and then save it as a TGO if it keeps the scaling?? Any way, they are both posted on my site http://www.gintdev.co.uk/mr-miley/tgos2.html, rar files including all maps etc.

Enjoy

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

otakar

Thanks for the continuous additions to the library! Very grateful. If I can make a request, IMHO there are not enough models of trees that are less than perfect (old, diseased, deformed by nature).

mr-miley

Otakar... Damn fine point. I'll have to see what I can do. The main problem (as I see it, anyway, without trying anythig) is that programs like xfrog, onyxtree etc have no way of doing this, except by way of using image maps of dead leaves etc This being the case means that you would have to import the model into a 3D app to "mangle, break, fold, spindle and mutilate". I'm more than happy to give it a go. I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Miles

otakar

Plants are resilient things. Look at this tree: http://regnans.blogspot.com/2007/10/herbigs-tree.html

I think one reason most of our otherwise well-crafted renders look less than natural is because the vegetation used is so perfect, in its shape and coloring and its variations are too evenly distributed. Just look at a photo and notice the complexity, very hard to replicate.

Harvey Birdman

Hi, Mr. M -

Thanks!   :) And no, I don't think the conversion from obj to tgo in TG2 retains scaling info. I usually scale 'em in PoseRay before bringing them into TG2 and doing the conversion.

@otaker - good point. I always try to create a handful of similar models of a type/species. It doesn't accomodate the decay/death/growth model, but it at least gives a bit of variety. You can use slightly different image maps with the different models to increase the variation. Like Mr. M said, to really tweak 'em you'd need to do some post-processing of the obj before bringing it into TG2.

DanD

Actually,Onyx does make deformed trees,and you can also add dead leaves to the model
   Its just that Onyx,will not allow us to sell,give away,gamble away..any trees or plants,flowers. The current claim is that anything made with Onyx,is their intellectual
property

mr-miley

DanD, This is true, however models I have made in Onyx I have not distributed FROM onyx. Bring a tree from onyx into TG and render it and it looks very little like the tree in onyx. I supply my own image, transparency and bump maps and, ost importantly, they are TGO files, a format onyx is not capable of outputting. The models I distribute come from TG, in its own format. A VERY important legal point!  ;D

Ta Miles

DanD

Never said you did,Nor did I imply you had used Onyx trees,I simply stated
that its capable of Deformed plant life,BUT...Like everything concerning CG
Its the artist or user that determines its perfection,and most people already have
an idea of a "perfect tree". Living in the Northwest has changed THAT outlook for me
  And,as an aside...These are some great trees you've created, Also,this is for Oshayan
forget the Cedar tree for your Mt. St. Helens project,Instead, use Black Pine,Birch
and Scotch Pine, Cedars are more prevalent on the coast.

mr-miley

Sorry bout that DanD, went off on a wee rant  ;D

I have actually used Onyx's wind animation thingy, picked a frame where the tree was taking a real pounding in a force 9 and exported that out to OBJ. Great for use on wide open plains / hillsides type shots, as it adds a bit of authenticity to the scene. When I get into work on Monday, I'm going to have a go at mangling a tree in something like 3DS or C4D, see if I can't break a few branches off. I'll post it here if I get anything half descent. I have used Ivy Generator, and used the dead leaves image maps that come with it, and if you colour the bark of the Ivy just right, with the dead leaves it looks frighteningly real ;D

Miles