Planet with Continents and large Oceans...

Started by Marcos Silveira, January 05, 2007, 01:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos Silveira

Does Anyone here know how to make a Planet with continents and large oceans just like ours??? ???

Its what I wanna achieve:

semuta

check out the planet shader... it seems quite useful for that kind of thing. it could use a lot more control however, ie the ability to map fractals into the "lowlands" or "highlands" etc areas instead of just plain old colours. I don't know what's in the "deep" version quite yet but I'd far rather see this node developed for broad area geography than the "sea of mountains" you get with the power fractal or alpine fractal.. other than that all you need to do is mess with the scale on your cloud layer and then yer done.

Marcos Silveira

David Burnett

I've been playing creating a planet with out using the planetary shader (cos it's cheating ;) ).  With the fractal terrain I found to get decent continents you need to set the Feature scale really big e.g 5000000. You've got to remember a default planet has a radius of 6378000, so 5000000 is less than a eighth of its circumference (2 * PI * radius) .

I've still got to figure how to do water properly. I'm cheating at the moment and using a second planet with overlapping the first  :-) I ought to try a conditional shader based on the sea level

xanga433

Just make sure you don't use the planetary surface shader on another planet. Check out the known bugs and issues (bug # 7) so that you don't end up stuck. It's better to use David's method.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=16

Marcos Silveira

Hhhuummm,

Someone called vissroid made this in TG2 :

3DGuy

I slapped this together real quick. Since the ocean is just a shader on the lower land it won't hold up when you get downto ground level, but for orbital renders it's good enough. It just needs some colour adjustments I guess. Play with the fractal to change the landmass.

crazymonkey

looks good :) a little more tweaking and it's a winner i think :)

3DGuy

Needs some tweaking indeed. It was meant as a kind of POC :) I'm gonna play with it myself.

crazymonkey

Quote from: 3DGuy on January 05, 2007, 07:04:33 PM
Needs some tweaking indeed. It was meant as a kind of POC :) I'm gonna play with it myself.

No doubt :) Have fun with it :)