Avoid shaders to affect all terrains ?

Started by edlo, January 05, 2007, 02:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edlo

How to avoid the surface shaders to affect a height field terrain ? I have finished a rocky foreground but I wantsome other mountains a  bit to the background that are unaffected by all this stone shaders.
Is this possible?
Thanks.

Njen

Ok, this is very quickly put together...there are probably better ways to do it, but I came up with this just then as an idea...Maybe someone can improve on this?

edlo

Quote from: njen on January 05, 2007, 02:18:48 PM
Ok, this is very quickly put together...there are probably better ways to do it, but I came up with this just then as an idea...Maybe someone can improve on this?

Thanks Pal that was fast :)
I will try that

Oshyan

Interesting approach! I'm honestly not sure what ramifications that has for the rest of the scene, but it does seem logical at least.

A more traditional approach would involve some kind of slope/height constraint/masking, or an image-based mask. There are a number of threads around the forums on how to do this, a search ought to turn one up.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

How do you create two Base Colours shaders?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

§ardine

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Lucio

I also thought about that, and I tried to use image based masks to avoid a shader affecting the entire terrain and limitate it to a particular zone, with good results. However the node-based architecture of TG2 makes theoretically possibile multiple methods. This is also a great potential of the software, I guess :)

§ardine

Not that it matters much, but for those who were wondering about where to find the Base Colors Shader in the menu list, it's a Power fractal shader v3 with displacement turned off and color on.

Kinda obvious now that I see it  :D

Will

Heh, yea now that I think of it they are pretty much the same :)

Regards,

will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.