Bring the butter to the battlements!

Started by Harvey Birdman, March 04, 2008, 07:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

Anyone else hear about the latest bizarre happenings from the Southern Ocean? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7276739.stm

You know, I'm against whaling, I think Japan's tale of 'scientific' whaling is absolute bullshit, but if anyone is capable of redeeming the Japanese whaler image, it has to be the morons on the 'Steve Irwin'. (Yes, they've named their boat after another exhibitionist of questionable intelligence.) The Aussies have a ship out there collecting evidence which may be used to challenge Japan's 'scientific whaling' fantasy, GreenPeace is doing the same.... and Sea Shepherd is charging around throwing rancid butter at people. Just who is that supposed to impress? Do they think this will win over individuals who currently support whaling? I get the feeling that their whole strategy is being developed by a 13 year old spoiled brat.

JimB

if I'm not mistaken, the whalers can have a habit of spraying activists with high pressure hoses and manoeuvre their ships to positions that nearly crush the inflatables, in open seas. I think the pendulum swings both ways  ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7171409.stm
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, I know. I don't have any problem with direct action of the Zodiac sort - if anti-whalers have the cojones to insert themselves and their boats between the whalers and their quarry, more power to 'em, I say. And I know the whalers use hoses in retaliation... that little dance has been refined over the years. But the whole butter thing just seems assinine and counter-productive; apparently the Aussie govt. thought so, too, and they're pretty hard-nosed critics of the Japanese program.

rcallicotte

A slight digression...

It might seem normal to some here, but the idea that a species is going extinct was unheard of when I was a young man.  The idea that a species was going extinct existed at a minutia level compared to grains of sand on the beach.  Now, we hear of all sorts of major species being threatened.

Who gives a rat's ass how someone stops the extermination of animals by using some sort of butter that stings?  Really.

I'm just shocked that a country like Japan, with supposed intelligence, wouldn't get some sort of sense of responsibility for this planet.  It's all sort of ludicrous crap, I think. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: calico on March 04, 2008, 10:12:25 AM
It might seem normal to some here, but the idea that a species is going extinct was unheard of when I was a young man.   

Come on - surely you remember the dodo? Although I remember reading someplace that the story about it being hunted to extinction by whalers (hmmmm...  ;) ) wasn't necessarily true, and how there was some other explanation for their disappearance.

Not sure who originated this alternative theory - I ... errrr... don't suppose... no.   :D

rcallicotte

Yes.  Now, I remember the dodo.

I understand nature has a way of eliminating what it doesn't need, in a fashion.  But, anyway, I'm not an eco-terrorist.   8)

Harvey Birdman

rcallicotte

Nope.  Unless I'm doing something I don't know about.   :o