Vegetation On Crater Shader

Started by bobbystahr, March 04, 2008, 02:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Is there a way to do this. I'd like to put foliage on a crater as in a very old dormant volcano with a lake in it but I can't seem to get veg to go on the actual crater...wassup with this? Is there a way or am I flogging a dead horse here?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ironshirt

Hi bobby,

when you insert a population, the compute terrain is plugged to the population's terrain shader by default. You have to plug the latest surface layer to the population instead, to get it to work.

I made a quick test with a crater shader and base colors and plugged the base colors node to the population node's terrain shader (instead of compute terrain).

peejay

works fine here with a crater shader on a power fractal landscape

care to post the tgd and I'll see if I can do it?

adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

bobbystahr

Welll I got ot to sorta work but it only puts the veg on on slope and I  kinda wanted it all round...maimly the vey top 1/5 of the crater to have veg. If someone could explain this via a scr grab of the network I'd be most grateful.. ..
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Virex

Can't you aproximate that with a ring-shaped blending mask?

I've drawn up a simple network that builds a white ring (actualy a hollow sphere, but making it a real ring would be more dificult) at a given position.

bobbystahr

Woo Hoo..success at last...many thanks for the helpful suggestions...seems the first worked best...way t go Ironshirt..see pic....just what I was after. Now to do it with my real computer and the actual scene.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New