Cloud Noise at Distance

Started by treddie, March 08, 2008, 02:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Clamping: For example any value below zero stays zero and any value above 1 (white) keeps the value of 1.
Using functions the clamping is very universal.

treddie

Geez...you should write a Terragen book, dude.
Visited your site and gallery.  Really beautiful stuff.

treddie

Update with fixed clouds.  In looking at this, I have decided to run another render with roughness cut back slightly.
<treddie

Volker Harun

I think that the balance of roughness and smallest scale is fine.
Two points to consider:

• The bottom of the clouds are a beauty, but it is very seldom to spot such detail there. Normaly the lighted borders only have that much contrast.
  • The background clouds got better, but still are very sharp. Looking at photographies you will see hard edged clouds only in distance - not closeups i.e.: http://renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_75/file_747121.jpg (Image by environaut)
    You will need to make the edges softer.
    2 approaches: First one: reduce edge sharpnes to half of its value.
    Second way, duplicate the clouds, lower each density and add to one of the two layer wispiness ,-)

There much more option to play with ...

Volker

treddie

Hm...decisions, decisions.  Ah heck!  I'll try both!
I need the practice.

I'm off to Terragen for a night of rendering.
<treddie

treddie

I made a mistake.  It wasn't roughness that I cut back on, it was Edge Sharpness like you were suggesting.  I had actually taken it from .005 to .001.  This was the result, along with deadening the greens a bit in PShop to give it more of a deader desert look and taking some of the density out of the blacks in the bushes, since there just wasn't enough light bounce going on inside.

treddie

One last view.  Other than following up on a couple of suggestions on the earlier image, I'm sick of this model and ready to move on.  Reminds me of when I did a product shot of some tires in Maxwell Render.  Spent maybe 60 hours on getting everything done right before I started the actual render.  Got so sick of looking at tires I couldn't enjoy the images anymore.  My head hurts.

Thank you, Volker Harun and bigben for all of your help.  This last clouds setup really had me scratching my head.  I think I'm starting to "get it"!

<treddie

Volker Harun

I understand your point ... While going for one render, it is hard to ignore the forthcoming ideas.

I like the clouds in the last image very much, by the way.
The grain in the distance is due to the atmospheric samples, guess you already know.

The only idea I had for you image from March 11th was to double the atmosphere node to soften the background :)

Volker

treddie

Now that you jogged my memory, I figure your right about where the noise was coming from.  Awhile ago I did some front lit tests with quality set at 32, 64, 128, 256 samples at 320x240, to check rendering time vs. quality. At least for 320x240, 64 seemed to be the bare bones acceptable lower limit.  For that scene at least.

I will test your atmosphere doubling idea out today.  Which brings up a point about TG2.  I find that TG2's atmosphere is simply stunning, but that "volume of light" quality it has (which matches photography very closely) does not carry over into foreground areas all that well.  For foreground elements I get the sense that everything is in sort of a "light vacuum" environment like conventional ray-tracers, and increasing GI quality only partially addresses the problem (I must admit, I have not pushed the GI quality to its limit yet, at the expense of a huge rendering time).  For instance, in all the images in this thread, if you crop out the terrain, the sky approaches photorealism, yet if you crop out the sky, the terrain in the foreground looks like an illustration.  Light just isn't bouncing around all that much in the foreground and getting into the nooks and crannies enough.  I suppose I could put a light source behind the camera, or a huge reflector, but my impression is that the problem would still remain.

treddie

...accidental double-post.  Network connection is dropping out causing post/reply hick-ups.
<treddie

Oshyan

I would venture to suggest that the foreground problems, although perhaps related to GI, may have more to do with the complexity and difficulty of effective ground texturing as compared to skies...

- Oshyan

treddie

That's certainly a possibility.  Won't be able to really tell until I can afford to buy a registered copy and up the res.
But I guess I could start playing around with close ups of some small objects placed on the ground at 800x600.

bigben

If you want to see what GI is doing, change the Colour on surfaces to a bright colour that is not in your terrain... e.g. cyan or purple.

or check out the first 2 images in this thread:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1851.msg18019