render speed when render preview is in the background

Started by king_tiger_666, January 05, 2007, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tiger_666

Just curious if having the preview render screen open while rendering a image, does this affect render time? as aposed to having node network open so that no preview is shown.... just wondering because it would be good to have the cpu working on only the render and not the render and preview at the same time...

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Rich

ive noticed that when i start a render the preview pauses where it was, and starts again when its done..

oggyb

At first I thought the renderer went faster if I manually paused the preview, but as Rich said, I think it pauses itself anyway.

M.

Dark Fire

It seems that the Planetside team have paid a lot of attention to detail in T2TP.

oggyb

Oshyan

The realtime preview does pause when an actual render starts. It resumes after the render is completed and it will continue to update itself until it reaches a certain detail threshold. There is currently a known issue that can keep CPU usage high even after both render and preview are finished updating. This will be resolved in the future.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

Quote from: JavaJones on January 07, 2007, 05:50:52 PM
The realtime preview does pause when an actual render starts. It resumes after the render is completed and it will continue to update itself until it reaches a certain detail threshold. There is currently a known issue that can keep CPU usage high even after both render and preview are finished updating. This will be resolved in the future.

To be clear, the problem with high CPU usage shouldn't effect render times at all.

Regards,

Jo

Dark Fire

I encountered that error once. It was confusing for me, because I use the CPU usage to judge whether T2TP is rendering something or not.

Quote from: JavaJones on January 07, 2007, 05:50:52 PM
...continue to update itself until it reaches a certain detail threshold.
Is there any way of editing this 'detail threshold'? Editing it would be useful because sometimes I don't need much detail to see large changes have worked, while I sometimes need quite a lot of detail to see small changes. A small detail slider bar could be placed under the render preview, enabling quick and easy changing of the detail threshold. It would be much faster to use the slider than to set up lots of test renders.