cool overhangs - no twist an shear

Started by doneydonydone, January 06, 2007, 01:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doneydonydone

hey to all us at Planetside forums

a real BIG thanks to all that have provided hints/tips and tutorials so far

i am just really in love with this type of overhang and cant seem to get it with the normal displacements i have applied

-- anyone that wants to get really deep into the nodes and things -- i dont mind!!!

oggyb

I think the general consensus is the redirect shader, with a fractal shader patched into the X and Z slots.  Not using the Y slot means that displacement only occurs outwards and not upwards.

M.

3DGuy

Check this thread:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=187.0

It has sample files which show you how you can do stuff with redirect and distribution shaders along with inverted craters.

efflux

I love that picture. I take it the strata and outcrops shader was used with a redirecting? I must try this technique.

doneydonydone

thanks guys

i'm still tryin to make these nodes work the way they work in WorldMachine

'' does any one else get the error of the atmos goin really bright and blue when they mess with the nodes?????????

thanks fir all the replies

Ddd

doneydonydone

hey thanks again for the few tips -- although i still cant seem to get the overhangs to look like Sandpipers image -- do i have to apply the displacements in the redirection shader at different heights??

sandpiper6

Hi there
I didn't use a redirection shader for that effect at all..just a warp shader applied on the "negative" crater and different displacement effects within the warp shader. You can apply a strata shader later if you wish but I didn't find it necessary.

efflux

Thanks for that info which would explain why the terrain only has a few of those spires. If we had a sparse convolution fractal we could create a landscape covered in towers.

oggyb

Quote from: sandpiper6 on January 07, 2007, 02:35:42 PM
Hi there
I didn't use a redirection shader for that effect at all..just a warp shader applied on the "negative" crater and different displacement effects within the warp shader. You can apply a strata shader later if you wish but I didn't find it necessary.

Oh I see.

doneydonydone

RedSquare

sandpiper6  - Happy New Year young lady, how's the mountains any snow?

sandpiper6

Quote from: RedSquare on January 08, 2007, 04:28:43 PM
sandpiper6  - Happy New Year young lady, how's the mountains any snow?
Hi dude...No, no snow at all this winter except in the high Alps..feels like april already. Happy NY to you too!

littlecannon

Hi Sandpiper

I love your image, it ranks high in the best strata/overhang images I've seen. Do you think you could share a little more info on how you achieved this using the Warp Shader etc. I've tried a few times without the success you have, any more info would be much appreciated.
Regards, Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

sandpiper6

Hi Simon
It might be easier for you to just take a look at my tgd file..I'm nit very good with technical explanations. ::)

littlecannon

Quote from: doneydonydone on January 06, 2007, 01:26:42 PM
hey to all us at Planetside forums

a real BIG thanks to all that have provided hints/tips and tutorials so far

i am just really in love with this type of overhang and cant seem to get it with the normal displacements i have applied

-- anyone that wants to get really deep into the nodes and things -- i dont mind!!!

Was this done in TG2 or WorldMachine?

Thanks for the file sandpiper.. Sorry, I was actually refering to the top image in doneydonydone's post.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...