thinking of setting up a plant model website what do you think?

Started by lightning, March 17, 2008, 02:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghotir

I think a layered approach might be worthwhile.  Something like:
Free: gets access to "100s" of lower quality objects
5-10 a month: gets access to a larger library of medium quality objects
5-10 a piece: gets high quality objects
20-X a piece: gets custom made objects

What is great about this approach is the monthly fee.  If you can get the 20-30 frequent posters on this board to pay 5 bucks a month, that would probably nearly pay for the servers that is hosting all this :)

PG

I'll definately need some of your fine models for my etna render when I get a license. money is no object ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

lightning

Quote from: ghotir on March 17, 2008, 04:26:29 PM
I think a layered approach might be worthwhile.  Something like:
Free: gets access to "100s" of lower quality objects
5-10 a month: gets access to a larger library of medium quality objects
5-10 a piece: gets high quality objects
20-X a piece: gets custom made objects

What is great about this approach is the monthly fee.  If you can get the 20-30 frequent posters on this board to pay 5 bucks a month, that would probably nearly pay for the servers that is hosting all this :)
so many ideas i will have to sit down over easter and see what i can do thanks for the response ;D

Oshyan

I'd say partnering with Daz might be a good idea for volume, but definitely don't sign any exclusivity deals. If possible use Daz as an initial launching point as it would get your stuff out there quick (they already have a whole system setup and a steady userbase). But then take some time to put up your own effort with proper features (catalog, previews, instant purchase and download, etc.), and offer them slightly cheaper through your site as incentive.

- Oshyan

lightning

Quote from: Oshyan on March 18, 2008, 12:56:32 AM
I'd say partnering with Daz might be a good idea for volume, but definitely don't sign any exclusivity deals. If possible use Daz as an initial launching point as it would get your stuff out there quick (they already have a whole system setup and a steady userbase). But then take some time to put up your own effort with proper features (catalog, previews, instant purchase and download, etc.), and offer them slightly cheaper through your site as incentive.

- Oshyan
yes i will do this first i think
but how do you post models on daz i have been a member for a while but nether been able to post models there ???
and what do you think if i uploaded them on turbo squid?

peejay

Lightning

once you're logged into DAZ there are links at the bottom of every page in blue writing (very small), one of them says 'publishing' - click on that and off you go ;)
adamans rebellis quod iustus nos

lightning

Quote from: peejay on March 18, 2008, 02:49:54 PM
Lightning

once you're logged into DAZ there are links at the bottom of every page in blue writing (very small), one of them says 'publishing' - click on that and off you go ;)
cheers mate ;)

Mr_Lamppost

If I was going to buy any of your plants I would prefer to use a dedicated site rather than Turbo Squid or the like.  I know that doing it that way would be more work for you but you would retain control of the way items are grouped into packs and priced.  From my point of view as the buyer I would know that I was only going to be looking at good quality models that are ready to use.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

lightning

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on March 18, 2008, 07:31:02 PM
If I was going to buy any of your plants I would prefer to use a dedicated site rather than Turbo Squid or the like.  I know that doing it that way would be more work for you but you would retain control of the way items are grouped into packs and priced.  From my point of view as the buyer I would know that I was only going to be looking at good quality models that are ready to use.
I will end up doing both probably ;D