A Volcano

Started by nvseal, March 23, 2008, 12:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

I wanted to try something different for a change. It was originally supposed to be Mount Doom.It actually turned out better than I had expected -- I didn't even have to use raytracing on  :o, thankfully  ;). I also really wanted to try to get a good atmosphere for the scene (tried really hard to get those rays coming through the clouds).There are some things which could be changed but I can live with this result for now. This render also only took 24 hours. I really had to debate which postworked version I wanted to upload but I decided one this one. This version has only minor post work with the contrast, thus saving the original atmosphere of the piece (the other version lost some of the red in the sky). Hope you like it. C & C welcome.

Seth

Oshyan

It's a good idea and fairly well executed, particularly in the balance of light in the scene and the effect of the glow. However I think the lava itself is far too noisy and rough-looking. Lava this bright ought to be flowing and smoother, I think. There is actually a setting in the Heightfield detail controls called "flow" which might add some interesting flow-like patterns here...

- Oshyan

monks

Yeh, I like the light- looks spot on, but the flow is not there.

monks

nvseal

Quote from: Oshyan on March 23, 2008, 04:03:30 AM
It's a good idea and fairly well executed, particularly in the balance of light in the scene and the effect of the glow. However I think the lava itself is far too noisy and rough-looking. Lava this bright ought to be flowing and smoother, I think. There is actually a setting in the Heightfield detail controls called "flow" which might add some interesting flow-like patterns here...

- Oshyan

I definitely have to agree about the lava. That is the one that was really bugging me when I was making it. The terrain, however, is fractal terrain and not a height field so I don't know what I can do about it. Maybe TG 2 needs a Flow shader  :). Hint.

rcallicotte

Agree with Oshyan.  I especially like the way you captured the light overall.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

I have to agree the lighting is very nice but without the flow it looks more like the whole mountain is hot rather than lava spilling out of the top.  It might not be what you were wanting but it's a cool effect.   
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

j meyer

You could make a heightfield from that part of your
fractal terrain (heightfield from shader).
Anyway,cool glowing mountain effect.

lightning

by heck this is amazin love the orange light!