A world Away

Started by lightning, March 24, 2008, 10:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

A world Away

Hey guys this is my first proper render with terragen 2 deep edition.
had this in my mind for a while finally put it into terragen wouldnt have turned out half as well if it had been done in the free version ;D

How it was made
Terrain
Well the hill was just made out of a basic height field in TG2 it was originally going to look ova the sea but it was going to take far too long to render so I just added a basic fractal terrain instead personally it looks much better than if it was sea.
I then just textured it with basic colour fractals a couple with displacements and one was an image map of a rock. I then added some green colour's to the background terrain to fill in for the trees I originally had a 100000x100000 population of one of my acer trees but it looked real uniform and fake.

Plants

I used two species of trees my ulna Americana and my Douglas fir trees. it was my first time using a distribution shader for a population I think it turned out quiet nice I find when you put trees into populations without a distribution shader they look to uniform and thus ruins the realism of a render.

Castle
The castle was from a great modeler called luca rondolfi he makes some pretty amazing castles and for free as well I just put it through poseray so it would look better in terragen 2.

Atmosphere and lighting
The atmosphere I rather like it was just a quiki I made up nothing special no clouds or anything. The lighting I just added an orangey tinge to it to give it more of a dusk feel.

Rendering

This picture took  15 hours and 47 minutes to render just of 1 core I still don't know how to do multi core rendering and I have 4 cores as well which sucks!

Well the rendering specs were
Atmosphere was set to 64 samples
AA was set to 15
Quality to 1
GI relative and GI sample quality were both set to 3
With GI surface details selected.

Postwork
All postwork was done in photoshop this included the stars which were made with the glitterado plugin from flaming pear, the planet which was a stock image from DA and just some minor lighting and colouring tweaks along with the title and sig.

last notes
i decided to do three different versions the first two versions are two images combined to give a better look of the sky the second one has just been run through the aetherize plugin which gives a dreamy quality to a picture
the last is just the original picture postworked in photoshop and then ran through lightroom.

programs used

terragen 2 deep
adobe photoshop cs3 extended
adobe lightroom 1.4

enjoy ;D

lightning

here the first one

lightning

the second one ran throught the aetherize plugin

lightning

and the last one ran through lightroom
please say which one you like best ;D

Phylloxera

I prefer the third image for her readability

Will

nice lighting and angel.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Hannes

I also prefer the third one. Beautiful mood. Even if it's a world away, it looks somehow mediterranean.

dhavalmistry

I prefer the first one....this is pretty amazing render!
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

Great lighting.  Beautiful colors.  Excellent setup.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

nvseal

Great render. Not sure which one I like more, either the first or third.