Cloud Library

Started by rcallicotte, March 25, 2008, 01:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Nethskie was my inspiration! Cheers, dude! Now post that image, already... :D

nethskie

thanks mate! i posted a TGD file on my previous post i hope you can play with it and give us better results than mine :)

rcallicotte

Freelancah - these are great offerings.  Thank you.

And thanks everyone who has kept these clouds coming.  I love it!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

freelancah

Here's another quick cloud setup..

Granknight

Some quite realistic clouds i made. Low render times.

dandelO

I didn't like the repeating billowy noise in my old cirrocumulus layer(top left preview), I see it in peoples pictures, and my own and it seems so repetitive and unnatural, I've edited it to fix this, I far prefer this new version, hope you do too! :)

v2.a(primary rays only, the way cirrocumulus should be, they do not self-shadow)
[attachimg=#]

v2.b(primary+secondary rays - 4x longer render for minimal effect)
[attachimg=#]

The file is optimized for raytraced rendering, if you should need to render with the micropolygon rasterizer, just bump their quality up to '1' from the default '0.25'.
Both of these previews are at '0.25 cloud quality' and AA of only '2'.
Render times were; v2.a = 2 minutes/v2.b = 8 minutes. Not really a good trade-off when it's so little visible.

The defaults are set to 'v2.a' settings, for speed and to keep them true to life. Enable secondary rays only if you need to but I wouldn't really advise it, the difference is really very subtle but it will produce the little shadow rays in the atmosphere if you'd like them. The effect of secondary rays on the clouds themselves is barely noticable, as by design.

Enjoy! :)

choronr

Thank you Martin, I was looking for something like these for my next image - really appreciate what you've done here.

Vyacheslav

metacloud

Vyacheslav

metacloud

sylink

I'm still learning to use clip files, whenever I insert one from this thread, the nodes and setting appear under atmospheres for the clouds but it never renders them. Am I missing something crucial?

Zairyn Arsyn

they need to connected/plugged into the node network to render, connect the cloud layer node to the atmosphere input the planet 01 node.
Quote from: sylink on March 02, 2011, 01:19:19 PM
I'm still learning to use clip files, whenever I insert one from this thread, the nodes and setting appear under atmospheres for the clouds but it never renders them. Am I missing something crucial?
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

sylink

Ah that did it, thank you!

Zairyn Arsyn

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

max_thehitman

What a great thread and superb posts!!
Super interesting and valuable  information too!!
Thank you very much everyone for sharing... calico, PG, Phylloxera, Mandrake, Seth, Blonderator, dwilson, silentgod, Mr_Lamppost, mrwho, Tangled-Universe, RArcher, moodflow, Ogre, dandelO (great mini-tutorials!), stevehmeyer, child@play, kleinm, AndyWelder, littlecannon, Matt, zaai999, domdib, TheBlackHole, Gforce, njeneb, FrankB, freelancah, nethskie, Granknight, Vyacheslav!
I just got Terragen and hopefully with your great tutorials and expert help I will also be able to contribute with some good things for you all too!
Thanks for sharing your art with us!

Cheers
MAX

TheBlackHole

The nuke from this thread: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=11069.0 . Enjoy.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?