Salvage a .tgd that probably corrupted on save?

Started by neuspadrin, June 30, 2008, 07:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

I was working on a file off a usb harddrive when i lost power right as i was saving.  when i got it powered back up it failed to load, and the _bak failed to load too with the same error.  any way to fix that? 

It starts to load, and in the error pane i can see:
Parse Error at line 1: not well-formed invalid token (i think, its cut off some)
There is no active camera!

heres the .tgd and the _bak version that also seems to fail. 

Oshyan

I'm afraid these files are filled with garbage data and are not recoverable.

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

/cry

ive been working on that scene on and off for a month, stopped last week to wait for tp4 before continuing got all excited today.. now im bummed. 

I figured that was it's fate..... just was hoping maybe the file had like all but a bit of data that maybe somehow magically you could put back in some bogus data to make it work again (like the render camera position or something as thats the error i got before it froze), as sometimes with save processes its possible to recover a failed save even... /sigh...

oh well, thanks for giving it a check Oshyan.  Now to dig around all my various hard drives and thumb drives and hope maybe it got backed up at some state.  if not at least it used an external .ter, so i still have the terrain to start back off of.

Oshyan

I'm sorry you've lost it all, that's very unfortunate. I know it's not much comfort now, but in the future I strongly suggest saving revisions of your in-progress scene files, rather than simply saving changes over and over again to the same file. For example save "hills1.tgd" then "hills2.tgd", etc. That way even if one gets corrupted, you can step back to the previous one and you have only lost whatever you have done since the last revision. I would make one revision per day at the least.

- Oshyan

nikita

The files itself seem to be filled with zeros. There's nothing left to rescue.
You could try some recovery software like this http://www.recuva.com/ (found through google, I didn't test it)