Help! Projection of a DEM....

Started by niphredil, March 29, 2008, 05:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niphredil

Hi, sorry for my bad english...

I have purchased a copy of Terragen 2.

I'm in the middle of a work in which i need a DEM of the europe to make some camera shots at high altitude.

I'v downloaded from the USGS an Hydro1k file of europe in .bil format. Imported it in Global Mapper and exported to .ter file.

Loaded in Terragen it displays correctly but is actually flat. I need it to follow the planet underneat, is there a way to do so in global mapper or terragen? Thanks in advance.

fabio

rcallicotte

You must have used Load Terrain, which automatically takes the terrain as is.  It is possible to increase the displacement, but if your terrain is flat, it must have come into TG2 that way.  I'd look for a way to make sure it has height before bringing it into TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

Uncheck "Flatten Surface First" in the Displacement tab of the Heightfield Shader (not the Heightfield Loader). You can also load .ter's with an Image Map shader and get a bit more/different control (some of it in the Displacement tab), including the ability to set different projects like Spherical. There is no georeferencing support yet however so projection distortions will not necessarily be handled correctly. For a spherical project ideally the source image would be in a spherical projection to begin with, which a DEM most likely is not.

A bit more discussion of these issues can be found here:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1657.0

- Oshyan

niphredil