Typical Mars and now Jupiter

Started by RArcher, April 23, 2008, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RArcher

Thanks for all the comments.  This was actual one of the simplest renders I've done in a very long time.  First I downloaded the highest resolution mars surface map that I could find (8192 x 4096) which I then modified in photoshop to add some vibrancy, contrast and some sharpening to pull out some of the hidden features.  This Image map I used as a shader for the colours and detail on the planet.  I then took the same image and converted it into grayscale did some levels and curves work and used this as a displacement shader.  The only other adjustments I made was to mess around with the atmosphere to get the look I wanted.

I downloaded the surface map here: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Next steps are to begin figuring out how much powerfractal data is needed for various zoom levels to eventually create an animation zooming from planetary level down to surface level.

A screenshot of the embarrassingly simple node network is attached.

Arandil

This looks gorgeous!  I'm biased from all of the exposure I've had to NASA photos, so the only quibble I have is that the surface is too shiny.   ;D

Tangled-Universe

Though amazingly simple created, still a fantastic image!
I really like the wat it looks so far. Keep the atmo as it is, for me ;)

Martin

RArcher

Here is Jupiter done in the same sort of way as the Mars image.

NWsenior07

Nice displacements on the cloud tops, though I'd suggest softening the displacement slightly.

monks

Hey, cool stuff!- Mars especially.

monks

lightning

agree with NWsenior about Jupiter but it is still amazing
also Jupiter has this characteristic whitey peachy haze around it you image here is to clear i think :)

rcallicotte

I agree about the displacement.  Too much.  And for me the color is too resilient for space.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?