Dogs of War *Finished*!

Started by Mohawk20, April 04, 2008, 12:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on April 07, 2008, 03:31:22 PM
I can see at least one instance where there are two soldiers overlapping,

They're just good friends.

Seriously though, this stuff you're doing is why TG2 has a node network - so there is the opportunity to extend it's capabilities beyond what we support directly.

Regards,

Jo

Mohawk20

Quote from: Christopher on April 07, 2008, 10:28:43 PM
This is pretty interesting stuff here. Does this mean we can make trees and bushes different colors like what you guys had done with the examples here.

No, this is purely for positioning in a grod instead of random placement. The colours are just different populations...

Thanks Mr L! I'm gonna try it now, and render while I'm away.
Howgh!

mogn

Another implementations for avoiding conditonals. This tgc implements 6 masks, each selecting a different diagonal in a grid.

Will

Reminds me of shots from the Total War series of games.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mohawk20

Quote from: mogn on April 08, 2008, 04:54:29 AM
Another implementations for avoiding conditonals. This tgc implements 6 masks, each selecting a different diagonal in a grid.

Nice in itself, but for this situation still a bit too uniform... I will keep this in mind though!
Howgh!

Mohawk20

It's not working I'm afraid...

No overlapping, but no grid either... I've played with the constant scalars 'dot size' and 'dot spacing', but no grid. My figures are resized by 10 and spaced by 15, but that shouldn't make a difference.

The one thing that is really different is that I have to Invert the density shaders to get the objects to show up...
Howgh!

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 08, 2008, 11:39:04 AM
It's not working I'm afraid...

No overlapping, but no grid either... I've played with the constant scalars 'dot size' and 'dot spacing', but no grid. My figures are resized by 10 and spaced by 15, but that shouldn't make a difference.

The one thing that is really different is that I have to Invert the density shaders to get the objects to show up...

I don't get that, it should work for your figures as well as my stand in pegs.  The only thing I can think is that it is an issue of scale.  The base of the pegs has a radius of 0.25m, making the base 0.5m across, the same size as the little grid square.  The object spacing of the populations is 0.8m, which gives a peg on around 60% of the grid without doubling up.  If you are inverting the density shaders you are placing soldiers everywhere except on the grid points.

Quote from: jo on April 07, 2008, 10:38:56 PM
Seriously though, this stuff you're doing is why TG2 has a node network - so there is the opportunity to extend it's capabilities beyond what we support directly.

Regards,

Jo

It is also interesting to see that in many instances there is more than one solution; or at least a different way of constructing similar solutions.  Is anyone counting haw many ways there are to define that array of dots? 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Mohawk20

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on April 08, 2008, 06:10:29 PM

If you are inverting the density shaders you are placing soldiers everywhere except on the grid points.

Yeah, but otherwise they won't be placed anywhere... I'll download one of those measuring boxes, to see how big I made my soldiers, maybe then we can resize the grid.

I've just spent 3 hours cutting the background music, and mainly creating the camera path accordingly. It's easyer to make the camera path if you have allready defined the final length and start and end, and some main checkpoints. Still a lot of work, certainly with TG chrashing every once in a while...

[Edit:]Just tried the 10M one, and I found out my Knights are about 7 meters tall! Beneath is the resulting render... So what should be the grid settings now?[/Edit]
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Used Mr. Lampost's file from this thread with 5 different species of trees - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3789.0
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

I promised to do an animation when the scene was done... my question is, should I render the animation with or without the grid formation. Because I got a lot of positive comments on the current formation...
Howgh!

Mr_Lamppost

As your warriors are about three times the size of my stand in pegs try:

Grid Size = 12
Dot Size = 1.5

And set the Object Spacing in the populations to 2.4

I have just rendered a low quality test with the pegs and these settings work.  I also tried Grid Size = 8 for a more closely packed formation. 

Mohawk20

Grid size is 'dot spacing'?

With those settings, especially the 2.4 object spacing, all figures overlap, making a heavily packed box in the pop area...
Howgh!

Mohawk20

OK, appearently some things are not quite working the same way here....

I've zipped all files need, and the TGD into a file of 146.6 Mb.
So if you have the time and the bandwith, you can download it here: http://mikel.hbyte.net/files/Battle Knight.zip, and play with it until it does what your pegs do.
Howgh!

Mr_Lamppost

I am actually just off out for the evening but I have set your file to download, if I cat back at a sensible time I'll have a look when I get In, if not tomorrow. 

Assuming that you remembered to stop inverting the density shader; it sounds as if the dots have become disconnected somewhere.

Mohawk20

Well, to be honest, I tried to turn that off, but the boundingboxes started to disappear again...

[Edit:]After trying again, I feel ashamed to admit it does work when the Density Shader isn't inverted. However, it's good you take a look at the files, because while I fixed the doubles I got with Object spacing of 2.4 by changing to 3, I still have some empty spots. How do I increase the coverage?

But it does work, so you may slap me in the face for frustrating you unneededly!
You made a great set of nodes we should all keep close by! [/Edit]
Howgh!