Distance Blur?

Started by ProjectX, January 07, 2007, 06:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

I was thinking more of a model steam train myself.  Probably helped by the fact that the surface looks more brushed oil paint. Possibly an interesting theme to explore when you get sick of trying for super-realistic landscapes

cyphyr

I got to thinking last night (it was very late so I'm probably deluded  ::)) that this technique could be used in other ways as well. In stead of blurring it could be used to control saturation so the further away from the camera the more desaturated the colours become. This is pretty much what the haze controls does now but it would be useful to have that extra degree of control in post.
Need more coffee...
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

I sometimes use the distance shader to increase the amount of blue on the terrain at longer distances. This requires less juggling than attempting it with atmosphere/lighting settings which can have adverse effects on other parts of the image... although I use it as more of a tweak than a substitute.

dhavalmistry

I am having little trouble using distance shader...I want to remove fog/haze around the camera.....and I cant get it to work...can some body post a screen shot of how are you supposed to setup distance shader please??......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bigben

Assuming you're using a cloud layer for the fog...

No fog to 200m then increasing to full fog at 1000m

[edit2] Cloud coverage must be <= 0

Had a bit more of a play.... There may still be some issues with the distance shader. It may preview oddly so do a quick render to check the effectiveness.  Otherwise it may be necessary to manually replicate the effect with functions.

The odd stuff looks similar to a problem with the get camera position function http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1591.0. Haven't checked this with the update yet.[/edit2]