Crater as blendshader?

Started by Tangled-Universe, April 21, 2008, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi everybody,

I couldn't find the answer on this with the search, but it seems like it is not possible to use a cratershader as a blendshader for masking?
Is this a bug or something being overlooked?
Thanx in advance.

Martin

dhavalmistry

yes..I have tried using crater shader as blending shader but without any luck...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Matt

The Crater Shader is a displacement shader (although it has the ability to create colour if you attach something as the rim shader). The blendshader feature reads colour (or function) information, so if it just uses a Crater Shader with no inputs then it will just see black.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mohawk20

I learn something new every day.

It's great to have some core information about these things. You should do this more often Matt, forget those release dates  :P ;)
Howgh!

Matt

It just occurred to me that you could attach a white Lambert Shader as the rim shader and then you could use it as a blend shader.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on April 23, 2008, 09:28:43 AM
It just occurred to me that you could attach a white Lambert Shader as the rim shader and then you could use it as a blend shader.

Thanks Matt!

Tangled-Universe

Hi guys,

I lost interest in using this technique at that moment, but now I'm picking it up again and am running into the same problem.

If I attach a white lambert shader as rim shader I still can't get the crater to be used as a blend shader for masking displacements and surfacelayers etc.
Does anyone have a workaround or just knows how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

edit: I managed to use the painted shader quite accurate, so that would be a work-around, but for the sake of accuracy it still would be nice to somehow use the cratershader self as blendshader.

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 01, 2009, 05:14:56 AM
Hi guys,

I lost interest in using this technique at that moment, but now I'm picking it up again and am running into the same problem.

If I attach a white lambert shader as rim shader I still can't get the crater to be used as a blend shader for masking displacements and surfacelayers etc.
Does anyone have a workaround or just knows how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

edit: I managed to use the painted shader quite accurate, so that would be a work-around, but for the sake of accuracy it still would be nice to somehow use the cratershader self as blendshader.
I've tried using the crater shader on a planet (trying to make the planet look like our Moon); and, when applied, it wipes out the color I've applied to the Moon. Also, I tried to find where the node is connected to in the internal network but cannot find it. Any help on this?

Oshyan

Crater Shader can be applied in Terrain or Shaders. Probably best in Terrain as it influences displacement a lot.

- Oshyan

choronr

Thanks Oshyan, still experimenting with this one.