Intersecting clouds not working :(

Started by cyphyr, April 13, 2008, 02:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Ok in the good ol' U of K we've had some pretty impressive weather over the weekend, massive piles of cumulus clouds with intersecting flatter stratus clouds as in the pics below (unfortunately I was unable to take any photos but these give the idea).
Well I thought I'd give it a go in Terragen but straight away realised this would be difficult or impossible !!

The last two images below have EXACTLY the same settings except that the order of the clouds are reversed. In both images both clouds have an altitude of 4000m, the gray cumulus clouds are 6000m thick and the Pink! (just for clarity ;) ) altocumulus  are 500m thick. They "should" poke through the cumulus at its vertical center but they don't :( Anyone with a clue why? With the pink altocumulus first in the stack (ie nearest "atmosphere") they are below the gray cumulus, with the pink altocumulus last in the stack (ie nearest "Planet 1") they appear above the gray cumulus clouds.

Now with surface textures we can change their order (we have buttons that help us do this) but there is no such ability with the atmospheric settings. Is this an unimplemented feature or is the altitude setting for clouds purely a visual scaling clue and nothing to do with the clouds actual height?

Any ideas, explanations or promises of fixes greatly appreciated :)

/|\

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mr_Lamppost

My guess is that this is the same sorting order problem that lets the horizon show through the clouds on some "Above the cloud" renders.  This is supposedly fixed in the next version.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Matt

Yes, this is fixed in the next update.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)