Strange little bug...

Started by Mohawk20, April 15, 2008, 05:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

I've never had any problems with the software other than the normal memory crashes, but yesterday I discovered a strange little bug...

I found the old DOS game Ports of Call in one of my game directories, and thought I'd give it a go, to see if it still worked.
Meanwhile I was rendering an animation...

The cmd window opened up asking me in what mode to play the game, and it started.
It actually worked, and I played for a while.
After about half an hour, the screen goes back to the desktop, showing an error that TG had to shut down.
I started it again, and continued my POC game. After about an hour TG2 crashed again. It had rendered 1 frame, saved it (luckily), and crashed.

When I'm not playing the POC game, the animation renders hours at end without error, but with the POC game running, it seems like TG2 cannot start rendering the next frame somehow.

I'ts not a really important bug, but still, I'm curious why it happens...
Howgh!

Oshyan

That's very strange indeed. I wonder if it has something to do with DOS boxes. I can't really think of any good reason why this would happen though.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

I can zip and mail you the game folder, so you can try to recreate it (shouldn't be too hard, I had it again last night)...

If you can't it's something in my system.
Howgh!

Oshyan

Is the game now free or creative commons or something? As long as there are no copyright issues with sharing it I'm glad to see if I can reproduce it.

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

It's an old dos game, so as far as I can find it's freeware...

When starting the game, there will appear a dos dialog asking what type of sound you want. Select no sound, otherwise the game stalls in the intro in my experience.

Download from here: http://mikel.hbyte.net/files/Ports%20of%20Call.zip - 0.8 Mb (and still to big to upload?!)
Howgh!