Object Handling - A Belaboured Perspective

Started by rcallicotte, April 26, 2008, 10:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Jim, would you explain this?  I'm using Modo and Silo, mostly.  So, this might be a problem.  Nevertheless, you can pretend I have XSI in your explanation, if you have time.

"I know I can take a camera mesh export of a terrain from TG and put it in (for example) XSI, and then position an object in there far more easily than in TG2. I then export the object for importing into TG2."
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

j meyer

I second calico an explanation of that process would be great.

Mohawk20

Quote from: JimB on April 28, 2008, 12:19:04 PM
I know I can take a camera mesh export of a terrain from TG and put it in (for example) XSI, and then position an object in there far more easily than in TG2. I then export the object for importing into TG2.

I missed that part...

I actually tried that camera view mesh export... It failed! Every mesh you export has huge gaps in it, even the top view.
I made 9 renders of the same terrain from all the angles. I still missed about a quarter of the polygons!
So I don't know if that's the best way...
Howgh!

JimB

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 28, 2008, 05:11:08 PM
Quote from: JimB on April 28, 2008, 12:19:04 PM
I know I can take a camera mesh export of a terrain from TG and put it in (for example) XSI, and then position an object in there far more easily than in TG2. I then export the object for importing into TG2.

I missed that part...

I actually tried that camera view mesh export... It failed! Every mesh you export has huge gaps in it, even the top view.
I made 9 renders of the same terrain from all the angles. I still missed about a quarter of the polygons!
So I don't know if that's the best way...
Of course the mesh has gaps in it. You should only be using it from the camera's point of view, which means you have to copy the settings of the TG2 camera to your other 3D app's camera (bear in mind some apps use different co-ordinate systems, but they're often pretty straightforward to compensate for). Then you position your model on the visible terrain, then export the model with frozen offsets (all centres/pivots are at 0,0,0) and take it into TG2.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Mohawk20

Hmmm, that seems way to much work... but it would probably do the trick.
Still a simple internal visualisation solution would be better.
Howgh!