Bug Report: Terrain Tearing in 3d Previwe

Started by Cyber-Angel, January 07, 2007, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

There is a bug that maybe already known, so apologies if it is when you move the camera the terrain will brake apart (As shown in the attached image) and will cause artefacts (As indicated by the red lines which where added in photoshop) and these will show up in the image as black dots.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Tim O'Donoghue

It looks from your screen capture that your camera is inside (or partially inside) the terrain.

jo

Hi,

I'd have to agree with Tim - the most likely scenario is that the camera is inside the terrain.

Regards,

Jo

Cyber-Angel

It seems to happen when you either move the camera or as in the case here during the redraw in the preview I had just adjusted the base colours and then I got the break up as you see in the image. I cannot see how the camera could be inside the terrain, moving the camera dose on occasion help the situation other times it dose not in any case this is not the first terrain I've had this happen with.

The only thing that might help in the future is if Terragen is equipped with a collision detection system (Like those found in flight simulation games) to prevent the camera from passing though and/ or ending up inside the terrain.

In any case heres the .tgd file.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

jo

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 08, 2007, 01:00:52 AM
It seems to happen when you either move the camera or as in the case here during the redraw in the preview I had just adjusted the base colours and then I got the break up as you see in the image. I cannot see how the camera could be inside the terrain, moving the camera dose on occasion help the situation other times it dose not in any case this is not the first terrain I've had this happen with.

I checked out the project file. If you rotate the scene around you can see that the render camera seems to be positioned very close to the terrain. If you then move the camera backward ( which is called zoom but really seems not to be what I'd consider zooming, but never mind ) it very quickly ends up under the terrain and you start to get the problems with "breakup". The camera seems so close to the terrain that if you changed some of the settings like the displacement ones in the Base Colours shader then the terrain could change shape enough that the camera ends up under the terrain. In fact if you enable and disable the Twist and Shear node you can easily find situations where the camera is under the terrain with it on, and not under the terrain when it's off. I really don't think there is anything going on here except the camera ending up under the terrain.

The only thing that might help in the future is if Terragen is equipped with a collision detection system (Like those found in flight simulation games) to prevent the camera from passing though and/ or ending up inside the terrain.

Something like that would be handy, I agree.

Regards,

Jo