underwater colours not showing

Started by Kevin F, May 01, 2008, 05:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's a detail showing a turtle in water. Only the colours/textures above the water are showing yet the rock colours are correct.
If the turtle obj. is submerged completely it just comes out black. Any ideas?

rcallicotte

I don't know, of course.  But, after playing and listening some here, I'm beginning to think that the transparent water doesn't work with objects.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

I did some quick tests to verify this and with both procedural and image-based textures I was able to get proper texturing below the surface of the water. Perhaps it's something unique to this particular object? Can you test it with other objects? Try changing projection-type for your textures (just as a test)?

- Oshyan

sonshine777

You could make sure the casts shadows is off in the lake object or plane. Just a thought.

Kevin F

Oshyan, tried with other objects and projection methods and get the same problem. The obj's are mainly from poser but also include rock objects made with PCRock. All of these have jpg images mapped to them and all work above the water level o.k. TGO's from xfrog all work o.k. as do fake stones and the default sphere. Oh, and cast shadows is off in the lake object.

Oshyan

So it is only these certain objects causing the problem? Try experimenting with on/off state for some of the other object reader options, especially: Flip normals, double-sided surface, Cast shadows, and Use smooth normals.

- Oshyan

Kevin F

Hi, Flipping the normals has solved the problem for these objects- thanks Oshyan.
I'll post a new image shortly showing it in action.

Oshyan

Excellent, thanks for the follow-up Kevin. :)

- Oshyan