Dunes

Started by choronr, May 01, 2008, 01:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

Perhaps a bit cartoony; but, this was a group of experiments. I guess all that is missing is Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner.

I learned something new here; how to add a second terrain. Thanks Jay for the advice and the maneuvering technique you implemented. The distant terrain is a 4097 DEM file of Moonlight Peak, CA.

The image map is from a cropped shot I made from an image found on the Internet.

rcallicotte

Those ridge lines need smoothed out.  See what I mean...those horizontal lines in the sand and dunes?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

chefc

Great Image
I agree w/calico on the ridge lines
I'm not sure if it will help but
In file sharing Adiwan posted a tgc that I think may help
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2534.0

Chef C  ;)

Serving the masses  8)

rcallicotte

Oh, yeah...and I like where the image appears to be going.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

choronr

Thank you all; and, to chefc for the link. This looks to be very helpful.

Tangled-Universe

Hi Bob,

This looks quite good already. I like the macro-scale dunes and the background terrain. Nice hazy depth and good clouds.
I'd sure check out adiwan's clipfile to replace the imagemap with real displacements. You could then add a couple of very small scale fakestone layers to mimic sand.
Though that would require very high rendersettings, but since you also have a quadcore that won't be too much of a problem ;D

Martin

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 04, 2008, 01:41:09 PM
Hi Bob,

This looks quite good already. I like the macro-scale dunes and the background terrain. Nice hazy depth and good clouds.
I'd sure check out adiwan's clipfile to replace the imagemap with real displacements. You could then add a couple of very small scale fakestone layers to mimic sand.
Though that would require very high rendersettings, but since you also have a quadcore that won't be too much of a problem ;D

Martin
Hi Martin,

I have tried adiwan's clipfile; and, it makes some fine looking dunes. However, I'm not sure how to work with it to produce the sand ripples. I'm considering doing another dunes picture and using the fake stomes to mimic sand.

I'm now working on replicating an old render I make in TG 0.09. So far it looks pretty good.

Tangled-Universe

I see what you mean and it's something I experience myself too and probably everyone does.
When I download someone's clipfile I first load it into an empty scene and apply it all over the planet.
Then I zoom in or out until I can see the actual effect of the clipfile. When I achieved a clear view on the ripples for example I then start experimenting with the scales and displacement-settings to determine how to adjust the settings to fit in my specific scene.
Maybe this will help you with implementing them into your scene, otherwise I can help you.

Martin

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 04, 2008, 02:15:41 PM
I see what you mean and it's something I experience myself too and probably everyone does.
When I download someone's clipfile I first load it into an empty scene and apply it all over the planet.
Then I zoom in or out until I can see the actual effect of the clipfile. When I achieved a clear view on the ripples for example I then start experimenting with the scales and displacement-settings to determine how to adjust the settings to fit in my specific scene.
Maybe this will help you with implementing them into your scene, otherwise I can help you.

Martin
Thanks Martin; I will try the clipfile again and work with scales and displacements to see if I can achieve ripples as they should look. I appreciate your offer to help; I may take you up on that.

zionner

Nice Render! I like the Cartoony look to it (reminds me of the Team Fortress 2 Graphics)

I think simple ways to get it to look more realistic is the suggestion calico gave, and maybe changing the colours slightly

choronr

Quote from: zionner on May 04, 2008, 03:02:41 PM
Nice Render! I like the Cartoony look to it (reminds me of the Team Fortress 2 Graphics)

I think simple ways to get it to look more realistic is the suggestion calico gave, and maybe changing the colours slightly
Thanks zioneer; My next dunes project will concentrate on realism; and, a lighter sand color will be one of the objectives.