Glass Sculpture

Started by Mr_Lamppost, May 05, 2008, 10:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

I am surprised that nobody else has tried this yet, no real attempts either here or on Ashundar.  Yes you CAN apply the transparent water shader to objects.  Something strange is going on with the object normals, needs further investigation.   ;D

14h: 13m,: 59s
@ detail 0.6, AA6, GI 2,2

Pentium D, 2.8 Ghz

Object credits:

Trees - ;Lightning
Grass - Lightning and klas 

The sculpture object was created using Wings 3D and is based on  a truncated octahedron.  The second image shows the object rendered with my procedural granite material.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

mrwho

Oshyan

Very cool. I'm surprised at the low render time. But what I really want to know is what grass is that? ;)

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

I intended to do the same test with the Gaudi tower, but I'm still far from finished rendering my animation...
Howgh!

cyphyr

Really great result there. I'm not too surprised at the long render times, I'm guessing that the object has the double sided switch on, yes? I tried rendering a glass chalice but the render times were too prohibitive. I think we got a "good enough for jazz" glass shader here but the only thing that really needs to be sorted is its shadow which is I believe beyond its currant capabilities.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

j meyer

Heeey,nice one,glad to see that. 8)Where did you get it? ;) ;D
Is that your garden?
Nice granite too.

rcallicotte

Yes!  Grass!  Grass!  Grass!!!

And transparency how-to, too.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Pretty sweet test.  The transparency looks to be perfect.

But I have to agree with Oshyan and Calico.  That grass is sweet.  With more variation and some extra AA, it would be phenomenal.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

sjefen

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on May 05, 2008, 10:35:23 PMSomething strange is going on with the object normals, needs further investigation.   ;D

Are you talking about the one with the water shader? If so, I think it's just the water ripples. The one with water shader have something that can remind of a normal issue, but the other one looks just fine.

Anyway..... cool picture. The grass is really great.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

bigben

Very cool

I have tried this with a jet cockpit but only got it to half work. I can see into the cockpit but not out the other side. Given your result there's probably some specific mapping settings in the object that are critical for this to work as well.

I dropped all of the wave settings to 0 except for patch size which I set to the maximum. This got rid of the ripples

Oshyan

Oh, 14 *hours*. OK I'm not surprised at the render time anymore. ;)

- Oshyan

Inscrutable

I had tried applying the transparency to the Obelisk that someone posted in the file sharing section but unfortunately it just came out looking dull grey and slightly reflective.  How did you actually go about doing this?  Any chance of you showing us the node network, I'm sure it's very simple but so am I!

Thanks,

Inscrutable

Mr_Lamppost

For everyone who has asked about the grass:  Here you go.   ;D

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4002.0

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 06, 2008, 03:14:05 AM
I intended to do the same test with the Gaudi tower, but I'm still far from finished rendering my animation...

Good luck  :o ;D

Quote from: cyphyr on May 06, 2008, 07:27:28 AM
Really great result there. I'm not too surprised at the long render times, I'm guessing that the object has the double sided switch on, yes? I tried rendering a glass chalice but the render times were too prohibitive. I think we got a "good enough for jazz" glass shader here but the only thing that really needs to be sorted is its shadow which is I believe beyond its currant capabilities.
Richard

No for the transparency to work the double sided flag MUST NOT be set.

Quote from: j meyer on May 06, 2008, 09:09:22 AM
Heeey,nice one,glad to see that. 8)Where did you get it? ;) ;D
Is that your garden?
Nice granite too.

If only.  My garden is what estate agents call compact  ;D The grass often looks like that though. :-[ ::)

Quote from: sjefen on May 06, 2008, 05:15:17 PM
Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on May 05, 2008, 10:35:23 PMSomething strange is going on with the object normals, needs further investigation.   ;D

Are you talking about the one with the water shader? If so, I think it's just the water ripples. The one with water shader have something that can remind of a normal issue, but the other one looks just fine.

Anyway..... cool picture. The grass is really great.

The waves were reduced to zero.  Further tests with a simpler object show that the water shader is ignoring the object's normals and is treating it as an unsmoothed faceted surface. 

Quote from: bigben on May 06, 2008, 10:32:05 PM
Very cool

I have tried this with a jet cockpit but only got it to half work. I can see into the cockpit but not out the other side. Given your result there's probably some specific mapping settings in the object that are critical for this to work as well.

I dropped all of the wave settings to 0 except for patch size which I set to the maximum. This got rid of the ripples

Your glass would need to have a physical thickness and probably would need to be a separate object as the double sided flag MUST NOT be set.

Quote from: Inscrutable on May 07, 2008, 03:17:44 AM
I had tried applying the transparency to the Obelisk that someone posted in the file sharing section but unfortunately it just came out looking dull grey and slightly reflective.  How did you actually go about doing this?  Any chance of you showing us the node network, I'm sure it's very simple but so am I!

Thanks,

Inscrutable

That should work; just replace the obelisk's martial with a water shader.  Reduce the roughness to zero and you may find that you need to increase the Decay distance if you are using the obelisk at its default scale.

Remember to make sure the double sisded flag is NOT set.

There are some examples of using glass here.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3977.0
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Inscrutable

I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone when I say thanks for your detailed and clear response to our questions.  I can't wait to get home now to try it out!

Inscrutable

monks

I'm just a bit unclear about the double sided flag...you said you must set it right?  :D

monks