Can obj's be grouped?

Started by Jeremy Ray, May 09, 2008, 12:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Ray

I'm trying, created a group, drug my obj's over to it, and ran group - capture nodes, but it doesn't appear to have done anything.  I don't think it can be done, but I'm new to TG2, maybe it can be? 

edit - taking another look, maybe it did group them.  Unfortunately, under group settings, there are no transform options, which is what I was really looking for.  Maybe a better question would be "Is it possible to group/link/parent objects so that they will all inherit the transform properties of a master object/group?"

bigben

The grouping that you first mentioned is purely a display thing. Capturing nodes in a group will just link all nodes located within the group's box to it, so that when the group is moved all of the captured nodes move with it.

gtg... phone

Tangled-Universe

And for the last question: as far as I know it is not possible to group object this way. There was already a topic about this somewhere where somebody tried to link lights with the object of a gasstation. A search will show you but I'm pretty sure it isn't possible (yet).

Martin

gregsandor

The answer for the question posed in this thread is yes.

Yes you can create a "Group" including objects and shaders for the purpose of easily organizing sections of the node network.
No you cannot create a group of linked objects and/or lights for purposes of moving them in the 3d world space.

Expanding on BigBen's answer: if you create that group then save TG2 and reopen it, or even navigate to a different part of the network then go back, your group will be linked.  It is just a display thing.

Jeremy Ray

Groups are graphical only , eh?  Bummer . . .

Oshyan

Yes, the current grouping functionality is strictly for visual organization in the network UI. Proper object/element grouping will have to wait unfortunately.

- Oshyan