CityEngine Released

Started by cyphyr, May 08, 2008, 11:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth

anyone else tried it ?
i downloaded it but as i am rendering something since 75 hours, i can't test it... until my render is over...
ohoooh the forum is for paying customers only... the documentation too :-\

crazycoder

Thanks guys, all suggestions noted.
Yep, the CityEngine is aimed at high paying organizations if you ask me, and not just anyone or I probably wouldn't have to make my own.

As for the screenshots, the facet class I am working on is rather complex, and I am creating a visual editor for creation of building templates, to enable set rules/patterns for buildings to be created with a few clicks, rather than learning a scripting language, so it may be a couple of days before I get around to showing it off.
That and the GUI needs some work to make it more user friendly.

sjefen

I am very excited about this :P
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

rcallicotte

I almost can't wait, but I'd rather so what we get is useful.

Bring it on.   ;D

Quote from: Oshyan on July 17, 2008, 01:34:50 AM
May I add a fifth? Once the TG2 SDK is available, make a plugin for TG2 so cities can be generated with dynamic detail in TG2 at render time, thus saving the high geometry count, overhead, and disk space of exported geometry. :)

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

crazycoder

Indeed,
I am seriously recoding most of my app to prevent mine turning out like CityEngine, all hope and no delivery.
I really feel I have been sold a dream by Procedural Inc, one that simply wont come true even with $7,000 and a sweet quad core system, not that I have $7k.

Here are the 3 Machines I used to test CityEngine, including a Quad Core.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Ram: 2GB Ram
Gcard: ATI X800 Pro

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Ram: 2GB Ram
Gcard: Nvidia 7800 GTX

CPU: intel q6600 quad
Ram: 2GB GEIL high latency ddr2800
Gcard: bfg oc2 8800gtx 712mb

All drivers up to date on all machines..

The quad core gave the most before the Low memory error, but a pitiful attempt at an urban city as you can see.
There all using the provided simpeBuilding.01.cga Rule.

I make you all this promise, I wont release mine with so much problems or lack of usability.
This is such a disappointment to me, I love reading Pascals papers, but the dream I have been sold by watching there flashy video's simply doesn't seem to be available yet, and I am questioning just what they did to make all the flashy video's on there site.

latego

Quote from: crazycoder on July 18, 2008, 01:38:16 PM
...and I am questioning just what they did to make all the flashy video's on there site.

I heard in the early 90's a tale about GEC Marconi (an big avionics provider). The salespeople decided that a particular product would have sold well, so they created a WOOD mockup of the card, painted it, photographed it, created brochures and started goung around selling it. As soon as the orders started to get in, somebody went to engineering and told people there to start build the thing...

Never believe images (they can be the result of a good Photoshop professional) and be wary of videos (which are likely the capture of the execution of a special build which does only the thing you are shown). Believe only the program you are trying.

B.T.W., the demo is BOTH time-limited AND output-disabled. May be they went one step further and disabled also the execution ;D

Bye!!!

sjefen

CityEngine is now available for purchase. I didn't understand much of the demo and it only last for 30 days.

Any news on you'r product crazycoder :P

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

crazycoder

yes, I am not well atm so progress is being a bit slow :(

Working mainly on my shape grammar language atm, Kind of a silly idea to rewrite it to make it better and integrate a full visual editor thats taking a lot longer than I would like with me not being well.

As for the CityEngine, They told me if it's not in the demo it's not in it, you just get the export feature for your money, so I don't know what the heck happened to Image-Based Modeling or a visual building editor I was for some reason expecting inside the CityEngine, still, at least that gives me more extra features, hehe.

sjefen

I totally forgot about this topic. I'm sorry to hear you are not well. Maybe it's a little late to say this now, or?

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

sjefen

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

sjefen

So what's up with your product crazycoder?
Was this just a joke, or what?

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB