Faking vegetation

Started by AndyWelder, May 08, 2008, 02:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

Don't know if I re-invented the wheel here but this is a simple little clip file that produces a layer of what looks like dense forest viewed from above. It's simply fiddling with the displacement so it works well in not too close-up views.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

rcallicotte

Looks great.  I'll try it.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Hey that's interesting, should probably work great with distant views, thanks for sharing Andy :)

monks

That's the best proc veg I've seen yet! It'd be good for distance stuff certainly.

monks

Mohawk20

Heel interessant!

Nice one...
Howgh!

bigben

Looks very good. Thanks for sharing

Volker Harun

Good one! Es wird Zeit, dass ich einen Andy-Ordner auf meinem Rechner anlege ,-)

otakar

Has this been created using the alpha version? I get a ton of SetParamFromString errors and the result is very dismal.

AndyWelder

Quote from: otakar on May 15, 2008, 11:18:14 AM
Has this been created using the alpha version? I get a ton of SetParamFromString errors and the result is very dismal.

This was made with the most recent Deep version, build 1.9.88.1. but because it's simple shader stuff Deep, or another version, shouldn't make a difference.

SeerBlue

Following Matt's advice near the end of this thread http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3996.15
It is quite easy to modify the tgc so it works in older,free versions. Just a change of the spelling of colour to color.
Here is a modified tgc.

otakar

Thanks for the updated clip! Will try this now.

Update: Works great! Very useful. Thanks for sharing this!

AndyWelder

Quotebut because it's simple shader stuff Deep, or another version, shouldn't make a difference.
I stand corrected. Thank you, SeerBlue.
And thank you all for the positive reactions, glad you like it.

SeerBlue

Your welcome, Andy, and thanks for the clip file, and as a note the same can be done with Mr Lamppost's (I hope I got that right) procedural granite clip as well. They work together quite nicely.
SeerBlue

Mr_Lamppost

That looks very good, I tried something similar a while ago but never finished it.  Theer have been a couple of other attempts but yours looks like the best. Thanks for sharing.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.